The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2nd Harmonic Balancer Replacement in 6mo.

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

2nd Harmonic Balancer Replacement in 6mo.

I want to start off by saying thanks to the admin, dedicated members and others responsible for keeping sites like this up and running. They are a great resource for us "do-it-yourselfers".

As the title said my 6mo. old harmonic balancer is need of replacement. I researched some other threads and saw that another member had a similar problem back in 2006, although there was no follow-up as to what caused it to go out the second time.

I guess my question is, should I replace the harmonic balancer again and just assume that I got a bad part? Has anyone else had this problem and found the root cause?

Thanks in advance for to those that respond.

What were the circumstances that lead you to needing the original replacement and now second replacement. (Symptoms etc).

If the balancer is the type with the rubbery stuff inside, oil seepage from somewhere could be damaging it.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The first incident came when it threw a belt. I looked at the tensioner, the alternator, and compressor pulleys and they all looked fine, so i put the belt back on and it threw the belt off again. I had my gf turn the car over and noticed that the harmonic balancer was wobbling. I went to a local autoshop and they confirmed that the harmonic balancer was bad. After they replaced it I asked them for the old one so that I could inspect what type of failure happened. I didn't really see much wrong except for the rubber gasket inside looked a little "dry".

Now it is doing pretty much the exact same thing. It started by throwing the acc. belt and then I noticed the harmonic balancer was wobbling again. I am going to pull the current one and check for oil on the balancer. Maybe there is a way to reseat it.

davila825
    where did you buy the harmonic balancer at? it might have a warranty?

Unfortunately, the mechanic won't honor the manufacturer's warranty. I have had a lot of problems this mechanic. I am definitely looking to do this myself.

Possibility of a bent mounting point?

davila825
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohoso View Post
    Unfortunately, the mechanic won't honor the manufacturer's warranty. I have had a lot of problems this mechanic. I am definitely looking to do this myself.
    sounds about time for a new mechanic

That's why i do my own work, althought it takes me longer to do the job, atleast i know its done right and cheaper lol.