The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cleaned Throttle body and IAC problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

Cleaned Throttle body and now Idle problem?

My throttle body was all gunked and sticking so I removed it to clean it. I removed the idle air control motor before cleaning and only cleaned it with a cloth wet with carb cleaner. Put everything back together and now it idles @ 1500 RPM. Is there a trick to resetting the IAC or installing it. It idled fine before.

I just reset the computer (disconnected the battery for 10 mins) and no change. I also put a light coat of lithium grease on the IAC O-ring in case it was leaking (can't buy it separate). Anyone who is replacing their IAC be careful what you buy, I noticed that the BWD brand does not come with the o-ring. Hell, for that much $ it should install itself.
    Last edited by shadow83; 06-11-2011 at 03:31 PM Reason: typo
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

No there is not a trick to setting the iac in,what did it idle at before you cleaned it?
    Last edited by galantlvr34; 06-11-2011 at 03:35 PM

800 RPM. I only cleaned the TB because it was sticking and dirty. I found an IAC @ Rock Auto for $220 but I may try a junk yard first.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

Quote Originally Posted by shadow83 View Post
    800 RPM. I only cleaned the TB because it was sticking and dirty. I found an IAC @ Rock Auto for $220 but I may try a junk yard first.
    yeah i would try and find a used one ebay might have a oem one

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    I had this problem before. The IAC control sensors are VERY sensitive. If you get any amount of cleaner on the sensor or touch the tip of it, you will have issues. My mistake was not removing the sensor when I cleaned my TB, and the dirt and solvent made contact with the sensor and fried it. Try finding one at a junkyard first, thats what I did. Bcz those sensors are expensive everywhere...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

You need to drive around 100 miles so the PCM could relearn the new readings. Also let it idle for 14 min.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

I done the same thing as you and mine won't idle, stall at un predictable times. Some mornings it starts and idles ok and sometimes it don't? But I didn't take out the iac valve and sprayed the shit out of it. And fucked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    You need to drive around 100 miles so the PCM could relearn the new readings. Also let it idle for 14 min.
    I've done this to the "T" it don't work, and what's up with the 14min.? Why not round to 15min.?

Quote Originally Posted by Hevymetalg View Post
    I done the same thing as you and mine won't idle, stall at un predictable times. Some mornings it starts and idles ok and sometimes it don't? But I didn't take out the iac valve and sprayed the shit out of it. And fucked it up.
    Yeah you dont want to get the iac wet,thats why when you clean them you wipe it off with a dry,clean rag with nothing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    Yeah you dont want to get the iac wet,thats why when you clean them you wipe it off with a dry,clean rag with nothing on it.
    Too late for me!! :)

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    I had this problem before. The IAC control sensors are VERY sensitive. If you get any amount of cleaner on the sensor or touch the tip of it, you will have issues. My mistake was not removing the sensor when I cleaned my TB, and the dirt and solvent made contact with the sensor and fried it. Try finding one at a junkyard first, thats what I did. Bcz those sensors are expensive everywhere...
    I have to agree. If you let anything touch that IAC, forget it, its toast. Even though it looks dirty as all get out, its still fully functional, till you cleaned it

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Picked up two from a U-Pull-it yard for $8 each and idled even higher, they were from a 4 cyl (could not find a V6 in the yard) but the TB is the same. I ordered a new IAC since that seems like all it can be, a $230 gamble. Has anyone ever had a bad IAC and no code is thrown?

Note to all: The Felpro fibre gasket has the tab opposite of the OEM copper gasket so when you install it do not use the listed orientation in the shop manual. When I read the shop manual and it stressed where the gasket tab should be I pulled it apart and changed it and no good. I even reinstalled the factory copper gasket just in case the Felpro was not correct and nada.
    Last edited by shadow83; 06-14-2011 at 07:51 AM
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

Picked up two from a U-Pull-it yard for $8 each and idled even higher, they were from a 4 cyl (could not find a V6 in the yard) but the TB is the same. I ordered a new IAC since that seems like all it can be, a $230 gamble. Has anyone ever had a bad IAC and no code is thrown?

Note to all: The Felpro fibre gasket has the tab opposite of the OEM copper gasket so when you install it do not use the listed orientation in the shop manual. When I read the shop manual and it stressed where the gasket tab should be I pulled it apart and changed it and no good. I even reinstalled the factory copper gasket just in case the Felpro was not correct and nada.
    I have had a bad iac and no code was thrown it just didnt want to run right and wanted to stall all the time.

I take that you have a V6? the TB are not the same, I have swaped to the 6g72 tb and now to the 6g74, the 72 has the same connectors, but its not the same size. also if you put a 4 cylinder iac in a V6 TB, your going to idle high. I tried putting the I4 IAC in the V6 TB on a I4 and it idle way higher.

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

neonwhiteandbluegalant

car wont start after timing adjustments cleand the tb

hi im new here me and my dad got a 2000 mitsubishi galant 2.4l 4g64 i replaced the engine head bcuz the story i heard it got overheated not to worry bout that now i got the timing marks lined up and still no spark or fire i cleaned the tb and havnt checkd the IAC unit not sure if its fine or that has anything to do with it not firing it cood b the alternator but sounds like electrical problems i just need help and facts wat it cood b

If your not getting spark it's not the alt. and def. not the idle control...hmm... Are you getting any spark?

Sent from god

No spark, I would start with the ignition coils and their connectors as well as spark plugs. Then move from there, I know that there is some cars that won;t spark if the camshaft sensor is bad.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Damn, $230! I would have sold you a brand new one for like $175

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

did you ever fix the idle problem?

Yes. It was my TPS. I did not remove it when I cleaned the throttle body.
    2002 ES, V6, 140K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast