The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: car cut out at 80mph on the expressway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 39

car cut out at 80mph on the expressway

Alright so im cruising along at around 75 to 80 with the cruise control on and i went to cut it off for the upcoming traffic and bam, she dies lost all the power steering and revs dropped to zero luckily I coasted her into the shoulder. From what ive searched i think it could be the timing belt. What is the easyiest way to find out?

yeah man it sounds like the timing belt the balance shaft belt could have went.The only way to find out is by taking the timing cover off.Does is sound like it is trying to turn over or do you hear a metallic sound when turning it over?

Take the bolts off the timing belt cover on the end of the engine and see if you still see a timing belt.

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    yeah man it sounds like the timing belt the balance shaft belt could have went.The only way to find out is by taking the timing cover off.Does is sound like it is trying to turn over or do you hear a metallic sound when turning it over?
    yea it deffinatly wants to turn over, no metalic noises that i can hear. Im gonna check it out now

Quote Originally Posted by Rodriguez View Post
    yea it deffinatly wants to turn over, no metalic noises that i can hear. Im gonna check it out now
    That is a good thing.You have a 4 cylinder or a v6?You can try taking the top timing cover off and have someone try and turn it over and see if the timing belt is spinning with the camshaft.

ohh boy, not good.. I'm assuming when you tried to start the car, it will not start back up.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by galantlvr34 View Post
    That is a good thing.You have a 4 cylinder or a v6?You can try taking the top timing cover off and have someone try and turn it over and see if the timing belt is spinning with the camshaft.
    Its a 4 banger. and the belt does seem to be spinning with the cam. And yea kieth it didnt start back up when it died

maybe you ran out of gas?! :) lol um don't turn it over anymore, take the top of the timing belt cover off and check it out... don't turn it over anymore... don't... lol more damage might occur

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

alright i wont turn it over again lol. and yea i did take the cover off and i cant see any obvious problems.

is the belt lose? can you move it around with your finger?

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    is the belt lose? can you move it around with your finger?
    Thats a negative ghost rider

You dont see anything wrong with the belt what so ever cracking or anything?Was you check engine light on prior to this happening?

so it just shut off while driving, belt is tight, so, you can turn it over now IF your timing marks line up and see if your getting spark. I want to say crank sensor when out, but idk yet.... if you don't have spark at all, thats what I would shoot for.

the only way your car will die like rulling out the timing belt. it would be crack intake mani, or your alter is dead. Check your batt voltage. maybe your alternator died, the car could still run with the batt for a few minutes until it runs out of milk. Check altern and intake mani.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Check the manifold right at the neck where the throttle body bolts up, thats if its still attached anyway.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 06-20-2011 at 04:24 AM

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaurio View Post
    the only way your car will die like rulling out the timing belt. it would be crack intake mani, or your alter is dead. Check your batt voltage. maybe your alternator died, the car could still run with the batt for a few minutes until it runs out of milk. Check altern and intake mani.
    i think this might be your problem my nephew alty went out on him it was not charging the battery and it died right in the middle of an intersection.

So do the spark test,check your batteries voltage level and go from there.If everything else checks out it could be the crank sensor that went.Was the check engine light on prior to this happening?

lol @ this!

btw, timing belt can skip teeth even if it appears to be tight and is not broken.

If I were you, I would check the intake manifold as suggested. If that passes, check the compression in each cylinder. That will rule out the timing belt ever skipping teeth or breaking.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    lol @ this!

btw, timing belt can skip teeth even if it appears to be tight and is not broken.

If I were you, I would check the intake manifold as suggested. If that passes, check the compression in each cylinder. That will rule out the timing belt ever skipping teeth or breaking.
    Ok the intake mani checks out dosnt look like there are any problems there. How can I tell if im getting spark, and I dont hasve a voltage tester so Ill have to wait till the morning to get one. Im very weary of alternator as the car has over 120 thousand hard miles on it and I dont think its ever been changed. But it seems wierd that it would die with so much juice the battery seems to be full almost. I can run stereo, fan, hids and fogs and the windows no problems.

you can check the coils for spark by taking out the boot, take a metal coat hanger, stick it in the boot making sure it gets contact, and then have someone you hate hold the boot while you crank it lol, or you can just take out a spark plug and plug it into the boot and crank and see if the spark plug sparks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast