The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Emergency Brake Light on the Dash

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

Emergency Brake Light on the Dash

Hey All!

Any feedback for this would be great!

The other day I was driving and the E-Brake light next to the SES light popped on..... Yes, thats correct the emergency brake light not the ABS light..... I can't find an answer in any forum. I was wondering if anyone else has/had this issue. The E-brake isn't pulled but the light is on. The light goes off for a moment when I hit the brakes but it comes back on after a few minutes...... Any ideas? Thanks!
    Are you mankind or kind of a man?

Check the fluid level in the Reservoir in Master cylinder.

yep, sounds like fluid level

I agree with the above posters, however how long has it been since you changed your pads/rotors? When they wear down, more of your fluid is gonna sit in your calipers to compensate for less pad material.

Changing your pads/rotors will bring your reservoir fluid level back up as you have to push your pistons back in and displace that fluid back into the reservoir, so unless you have a leak, be wary of adding fluid to the reservoir.

If you do have a leak, fix it and bleed your system with fresh brake fluid. If not, if it has been a while since you changed your fluid, now's a good time to do so along with your pads/rotors. And be careful with that fluid, it will eat you paint away. Hope all this helps!

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

theres a switch under your ebrake that tells the car if its engaged, i would make sure its working properly. you can push it in with your finger and see if the light goes off.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Yeah that light goes on if the e-brake switch is depressed or if the fluid level in the reservoir is low. I'd venture to say the fluid is low, like everyone above.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I checked the level..... It looks kinda low..... Should I just add fluid or bleed the entire system? Here is another thing, I have never had the brake fluid replaced in the 10 years I have owned the car. This is the first time it has ever happened. Shame on me. Also, is it easy to do it yourself (bleeding brakes) or should I take it to a shop? Thanks for the help so far those everybody! The car still drives A-Okay.

While you think it's normal, the feel of your pedal will improve soooooooo much if you bleed the entire system. Ten years is a long time to have the same fluid in. Depending on your skill level you can do it yourself, but I like to have someone there with me to pump the brakes to make it go by quicker than just opening the bleeders and letting gravity empty the fluid.

Keep in mind though that bleeder screws are small, can get stuck/frozen in, and can get rounded if you're not careful. I'd find small six-point wrenches to help keep from rounding your bleeder screw edges off, and a bleeder kit to keep fluid from squirting/running everywhere.

But to answer your original question, all signs point to low fluid, and it most likely is because your brake pads are wearing thin, but without seeing your car I can't say for sure. Good luck!

-Greg

You will need a buddy. Get the car on 4 stands with wheels off. Theres a few ways to drain the old fluid. I like to start in the passenger rear and open the bleeder screw and flush out all the old fluid as I add new and stop until clean fluid is coming out. Then repeat for each corner.

To bleed have your buddy pump the pedal 3 times and hold the last one down. While held down open the bleeder screw to let air out, some fluid may come out too. Do this until no air is visibly coming out. An easy way to tell is by getting a clear hose to fit the bleeder screw and stick it in a bottle a quarter full of brake fluid, if you see bubbles you got air escaping. Repeat until no more air is seen as needed. Watch the reservoir and make sure ot doesnt go below the minimum level line or it will push air through the line and you gotta do it again.

Order to do this: Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, Left Front.

BTW: Highly reccomend a professional and new pads and rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    While you think it's normal, the feel of your pedal will improve soooooooo much if you bleed the entire system. Ten years is a long time to have the same fluid in. Depending on your skill level you can do it yourself, but I like to have someone there with me to pump the brakes to make it go by quicker than just opening the bleeders and letting gravity empty the fluid.

Keep in mind though that bleeder screws are small, can get stuck/frozen in, and can get rounded if you're not careful. I'd find small six-point wrenches to help keep from rounding your bleeder screw edges off, and a bleeder kit to keep fluid from squirting/running everywhere.

But to answer your original question, all signs point to low fluid, and it most likely is because your brake pads are wearing thin, but without seeing your car I can't say for sure. Good luck!
    Bro Were like telepathic, hahaha you know what I mean...

LOL Oh yeah, great minds think alike!! I didn't feel like typing out them steps, glad you did, they are spot on and yeah, some things I'd pay for because I don't have a lift and the jack stands get old after a while!

-Greg

Jack stands get old?
    Its just us fat boys, I put my dads car on stands front a brake job. I was huffing and puffing, all I did was lift it on two front stands.

There's that telepathy thing again, I edited "gets old for a fat boy" out of my last post lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk fam!

-Greg

Thanks for all the feedback guys and gals (if any)! I haven't done the job yet and I don't think I will do it myself so I will probably head into a shop.... Any idea of the cost to bleed or gravity flow a system? I am gonna call around, just wanted to see if anyone has done this. Also when the brakes are warmed up, the light goes off. Lastly, since that light came on, magically the A/C stopped working? WTF.... FML cuz i live in SoCal and its freaking summer. Thanks.