The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Stuck valve cover gasket

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Stuck valve cover gasket

Anyone have any idea how I can get the old gasket out without taking it out in little pieces? Any ideas would be great!

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    that's kinda hard to do, it's going out in pieces you can try to finesse it but if it's brittle then some pieces will get stuck on the sides. you should not uses anything but a plastic putty knife to take anything that is left out cause if you scratch it gonna be a bitch to seal.

When i did my gasket covers i had lots left plus i used grey rtv gasket to hold it down (which i really didn't need) and man was it hard to get out. I got to the point that i used a bottle of gasket remover, but this stuff is also just like airplane plane stripper it will take the powder coat in minutes so if you decide to do that route be careful.

Also since you got a v6 and if you have to do the rear, just do the front first to get a feel of how to put everything back on cause if your rear leaks you going to have to take everything apart again.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on doing exactly what you said about the front first then back after front is all back together. Nothing can ever be easy with my cars...