The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Radiator problems

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

Radiator problems

I got a gtz and lately am loosing coolant. Everyday i have to add around 2 to 3 cups of coolant. If i forget to do it for like 3 days it will over heat. I flushed the system like a month ago becouse i was seeing like some goey oily thing on the radiator cap and coolant everytime i open the radiator cap. Heres a pic of how it looks

I ran out of coolant so finished filling with a cup of water. Any ideas?? Might this be oil from the engine?? I have an oil leak also but i dont think they are related.

Wow that is not normal at all, I would do a complete flush first to see if it continues, but it looks like engine oil is getting into the cooling system.

use only a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water when you fill up your coolent
    that doesn't quite look like the loathed chocolate milk

first, check the oil, if it looks like chocolate milk (antifreeze and oil), you have a toasted head gasket or two

if not
    flush the engine and radiator a couple times, then refill with 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water, check back in a couple days, if it's back, check the ATF, it is possible that you have a small leak in the trans cooler, which is highly unlikely in itself

I would look into getting a new radiator and hoses and see how it is after changing them also do a thermostat too.It should be alright just doing those three things.

Car thermostat was removed by previous owner, i did a flush recenlty and it didnt help. Should i do a few more??

Engine oil is normal nothing weird going on there. Just an oil leak that goes to the belts and its throwing oil all over engine bay lol. Am planing on fixing this next week.

Back on to the radiator. The substance is oily, greasy. Is there anything better than those flushing things they sell at auto stores??

check your compression. Oil is not supposed to be in your radiator. If your headgasket is leaking, it would explain where your coolant is going. Does your car drive rough?

No, car drives smooth as usual almost vibration free at idle and smooth when running.

I would deffinantly start here get a new radiator,radiator hoses in case they are leaking.Actually put a thermostat in the car,do a compression test like mentioned above.Keep an eye on the fluid after you change everything and see how it is.

Ok, seems logic. Ill fix the oil leak see whats going on with that an do a compression test and then depending on the results replace radiator and hoses. Got it
    In the case its the headgaskets what else needs to be replaced?? Besides te gaskets themselves. Water pump has like 3k miles on it just like seals and belts.

I would do a complete timing belt job,belts,tensioners,idler pullies.When you do the head gaskets if it needs to be done you should replace the head bolts i think arp has head studs for them.Use mitsubishi timing components if you have to do the head gaskets.

Yea, i replaced all of that like 3k miles ago. Except the head bolts of course. So i have to replace again? Or that will work?

Quote Originally Posted by Joker96 View Post
    Yea, i replaced all of that like 3k miles ago. Except the head bolts of course. So i have to replace again? Or that will work?
    What exactly did you replace?

I replace all 4 engine mounts timing belts seals tensiioners harmonic balancer spark plugs spark cables valve cover gaskets water pump and gasket

Did you use mitsubishi timing components when you did the timing belt?If you did and everything looks good i dont see why you couldnt re use your timing belt since you said it only has 3,000 miles.

Seals where original tensioners where hyundai belts was mitsumotor or some wird brand like that. Water pump was also aftermarket sparks where bosch so where wires

That radiator maybe gone! I would do a complete flush as many times as it takes to get it clean. You can use C.L.R. (calcium lime and rust remover) and distilled water to flush. That's going to be more potent than the flush they sell in stores. That will clean things up and if the coolant turns into that crud again, definately need to find that oil leak, replace radiator & hoses...and get a thermostat in that thing.
    Last edited by boochieboy; 09-14-2011 at 04:12 AM

thanks for the help guys, where can i find that C.L.R

Any hardwae store, Lowes, Home Depot will have it.

My car has that same issue where that Orange looking gunk comes out of the radiator. But I just recently saw a three inch crack right next to the radiator cap and is leaking out all that Orange hunk out. Shouldi invest in a radiator as well or is that fixable?