The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: very high idle speed

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    gman956

Icon5 very high idle speed

my 2003 galant es 4 cyl w/auto has a very fast idle(2500rpm or plus) in the morning or after sitting for several hours: when the engine and coolant are cool. It goes to normal approx 700rpm after a few minutes when the engine temp starts rising. I checked the BISS and it was less than one turn loose; i turned it in and now it seems stuck, won't back out. I also replaced the CTS and i thought that fixed it, but the same issue returned. I tried disconnecting the battery cable for a few hours and that made no difference and also checked for codes with my code reader;there are no pending or stored codes(obviously no check engine light). This car has 107000 trouble free highway miles. Any ideas?

Isaurio responded to your question in the other post you put it in, but I'll reiterate: That's supposed to happen. Gets your engine up to temp faster, gets your exhaust up to temp faster so your catalyst can work and your fuel system can go closed loop. It's all good, don't make anymore changes, she's good to go! Hope this helps.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

gman956
    Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    Isaurio responded to your question in the other post you put it in, but I'll reiterate: That's supposed to happen. Gets your engine up to temp faster, gets your exhaust up to temp faster so your catalyst can work and your fuel system can go closed loop. It's all good, don't make anymore changes, she's good to go! Hope this helps.
    thanks, but it never used to do idle this high 2500rpm+; plus if i put it in drive, its dangerous as it wants to leap forward.

That seems about right, my car has a high idle when i first start after its sat for a couple hours. Once the engine is warm, the idle drops to normal idle. I think all cars are like that.

gman956
    i don't know why my car never used to fast idle this high before, it was always like 1800-2000 tops. now its 2500+ rpm for a few minutes

Quote Originally Posted by gman956 View Post
    i don't know why my car never used to fast idle this high before, it was always like 1800-2000 tops. now its 2500+ rpm for a few minutes
    How long have you had the car?

-Greg

gman956
    like 6-7 years

gman956
    can you send me a link to where you said Isaurio replied to my other post? THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by gman956 View Post
    can you send me a link to where you said Isaurio replied to my other post? THANKS
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...9&postcount=10

Also, have you changed oil brands, done a tune-up etc. recently or in the last few months? I ask because when I switched from mineral oil to synthetic, I noticed my cold idle jumped from no higher than 1500 rpm to between 2000-2500 rpm. It's getting colder, so you may notice an increase in cold idle speed around this time of year.

-Greg

gman956
    The only thing i did was add a quart of Lucas trans conditioner to the tranny about 2 months ago.