The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To: Unlock a Locked OEM Radio

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

How To: Unlock a Locked OEM Radio

When you unplug your battery the OEM radio will turn into lock mode. If you have the code simply enter the code.

If you don't have the code, whether it is lost or what ever the case may be there are a few simple steps.

First Step: How to Remove the Center Bezel
    You do not have to unscrew anything to remove the bezel. Either use a flat head screw driver (wrap it with cloth so you don't scrape the surround dash area) Or you can pull on the corners of the bezel and it will pop right out. Be gentle while doing this.

Second Step: Removing the OEM Stereo from the Bezel

Once you have taken the bezel out there are two brackets that hold the stereo in place. If you cant read the Serial number that is located topside of the headunit lift the entire bezel, supporting the stereo and pull out, the brackets lie inside a slot, look at pic.unscrew the brackets and it will slide right out. At this Point you can replace the headunit and bezel, the bezel will snap back in, again be gentle.

Bracket Holder

Top of Headunit

Third Step: What you Will Need

Copy Down your VIN number and Radio Serial code (Step Two).

Fourth Step:

Call your local dealer. Tell them that your Radio has been locked and you need the code. They should supply the code no problem if you give them the VIN number and Serial Number. The security code will be a four digit numeric.

Fifth Step:Enter the Code Supplied by Dealer

One you have the code simply enter it. If you tried entering the code too many times incorrectly then the radio will lock you out ( I believe it is three times). Proceed to the fourth step if this fits your case.

Optional Fourth Step: In case you entered your code incorrectly three times

Turn your car on in Accessory mode for an 45minutes to an hour. If you have an audio system i would unplug the amp before hand to save battery life.Warning: THIS MAY DRAIN THE BATTERY

Final Step:
    After your car has sat for an hour in accessory mode the Radio will unlock and allow you to enter your code.

If this still does not work bring your car to a local dealer and they will quickly do this for you. Depending on who the person that you talk to they may do it for free or charge you a small fee, i believe its $30. At this point IMO buying a new CD Player Headunit would make more sense then paying to get an OEM radio unlocked Pawn shops and junk yards sell aftermarket stereos for dirt cheap. Usually they are not high quality but they will do the trick.

Hope This was Helpfull Feel free to PM me with any questions

~Gabe

Detailed pictures will be added within the Hour
    Last edited by therev; 03-24-2009 at 12:11 AM Reason: More info added

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

Quote Originally Posted by therev View Post
    First Step:
    Copy Down your VIN number and Radio Serial code. (Located at the Back/Bottom of Radio)
    What kind of stock head unit did your G come with? I only ask because every stock Galant head unit I've seen has the serial code on a sticker on the top of it... not on the back or bottom.

It might also be helpful to some to include instructions on how to get to the sticker on the radio. It could be tricky for some people who are not familiar with their cars.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Ill add more information in a few, i dont have the radio right infront of me but it came with the Stock Infinity. So im assuming it would be on top. I went through the whole unlocking/locking problem when i first bought my Galant and i have seen a few posts asking for help on this topic so i made a tutorial. Pics will be posted later tonight, more info will be added now.

Thanks

~Gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

Polish, more info was added, i will post pictures within the hour (hopefully) with detailed instructions

sorry about the double post, i had an old page up that didnt show my previous post, i posted again without refreshing sorry
    ~Gabe

Nice... Good info.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

or you guys could just pm me the serial number and i can get it for you!!!!!!!! I work in mitsu dealership parts dept!!!!!!

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Another good tip to get your code, is if you carefully take out the fake plastic wood dash thingy. and on the inside. Your Code may be in there, mine was. But the handwriting was garbage, so i just called to make sure that it was it.