The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Headlight questions

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Headlight questions

Hi all, I am a newbie to DIY car repair. I have a 2000 Galant ES. Last week, the driver side headlight quit, and a broken socket was to blame. Bought a new Dorman one today at the auto store and am trying to install it. The Dorman socket has black, blue and red wire. The Galant has red with blue stripe, and yellow with red stripe, and black wire. I know obviously that black goes to black. But does the red wire go to the yellow/red and does the blue go to the red/blue wire?
    I tried to hook it up that way, and then the other headlight died. The headlights are silverlight bulbs. Any advice to help.
    Thanks!

just look at the position of the wire on the connector and match them up one by one.
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

You will need to open the connector, it has clips on it and math the wires across. Since we aren't sure whether the new red or blue wires are hi or low, same thing goes for the new harness, just have a look at the back for it's positioning. Ideally I would tell you use a multimeter, but not everyone has one.

Also, those silverstar bulbs run a bit on the hot side which is why their lifespan is so short. Try not to run them during the day when it's not necessary. For the cost of replacing those bulbs I would just go with Bi-Xenon HIDs, the harness it uses will draw less than 1 amp from your stock wiring, preventing further damage to the H4 connector.

ok, well, my replacement sockets are Dorman high temp sockets. They are covered in rubber so I cant match them wires up by seeing where they are placed on the back of the socket. I did try them anyway, with black to black, and red/yellow-with red stripe and blue/red-with-blue-stripe. At first it seemed to work, then the OTHER headlight died. Plus, my plastic connectors don't connect right so I am going to try to solder them instead. I hope I did not blow a fuse. I have been running these headlights for a year now.

If you have a multimeter, you can cut off the original socket and test the wires with the continuity feature, the same goes for the new harness, then just match their position.

I also used to run silverstars, now HID is a must on any car I own. The only pair of silverstars I own are in my tahoe's high beams. They're great bulbs but ridiculously overpriced.

can you take pictures of what connectors your using.
    Last edited by underated; 02-05-2012 at 03:27 AM
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

nevermind this should help

Cool diagram. But he still can't see which wire leads to where on his new harness. Im sure he'll get it working.

oh well ive never seen a headlight connector where you couldnt remove the wires. there has to be a way. even with the ceramic connectors you can get tot he wires.

tenaciousg take a picture of the connector you bought or post a link to it if you got it at a store.

I'm sure there is a way, I have used replacement H4 connectors and have been able to expose the wires, there is a rubber grommet that you remove/peel back to see where the wires are inserted in the socket. Pictures would help.

I will post the pictures asap. I worked on it again today, and the weird thing is that it is intermittent. The bulb would work, then not, Then only hi would work, but then not low. Then just jiggling the wires neither hi nor lo would work. Then jiggling wires again, it might work again. Now I am right back where I started and the light does not work at all. I have a suspicion that somehow there is a break in the wire somewhere higher up in the wiring harness. Ugh.

Well, I took some pics but for some reason the post does not allow me to attach the pics. Somehow my rules prevent it.
    Here is the link to my new sockets. Dorman Conduct High temp sockets. Got them at advance auto.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...RPLAMPAMS_____

I hooked the socket with bulb back in. Then connected the black ground wire of socket to the ground wire on the car. Then connected with a temp wire the positive post on battery to the red wire on socket. That lit the headlight up. However, when I connected that same wire to the yellow/red stripe wire on the car's original wire harness, the light ceased to function. I fear I have some deeper wiring issues, or something.

do they look like this?

Basically..mine are black and have a rubber cover over the back.

Now both headlights have died. I must have some sort of wiring issue somewhere. Any good at home diagnostic tools or is it shop time?

Just for anyone who is looking at this trying to figure out how to wire up the Dorman adaptors, Part Number, 84790, the blue wire is on top, which is the low-beam. Red is high beam, and black is ground.