The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: No Spark,No Fire,No Crank

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

No Spark,No Fire,No Crank

Well i just need a list of things that can cause a 2000 2.4 galant to not fire. been having this problem WAY to long after changing my headgasket, i just plan on replacing any and everything that can cause such a problem i'm on my last straw here.

here's what i know so far
    1.ignition coils
    2.crank shaft sensor
    3.cam sensor
    4spark plug wires,spark plugs
    5.ignition failure sensor
    6.certain relays

if there is anything i'm missing please feel free to add im trying everything at this point

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    what about the distributor? the last time I had problems with mine the arm that spins the tip was toast.

i thought distributor were only on the v6 models?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Did you remove the crank sensor for some reason when you re-did the timing belt? Also, the connector that goes to the cam sensor, there are two connectors in that area of the harness that are the same, one is for the cam sensor, I dont know where the other one goes, but they look the same. Make sure you didnt mix them up. Do you have any CEL, throwing codes?
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

removed the crank sensor once before and ill check out the cam stuff tomorrow and as far as codes go besides the tps code(which has been there since my outlander swap) nothing else pops up

yeah if you had the crank sensor out, make sure you didnt put it back in backwards. It will fit backwards but the trigger wheel wont be going thru it, causing no signal.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

thanks will check on that and get back to you. what about too much oil would that cause a no spark situation?

add: ecu/ecm is the only other problem i can thank of is there a way to diagnose a ecu/ecm problem?
    Last edited by Waka Flocka Eric; 03-28-2012 at 04:26 PM

So when you turn the key, it does NOTHING? No crank, no clicking, nothing?
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

turns over just no start, no spark either. couple questions you said the sensor plate has to go through the Crankshaft sensor, do you mean the space that the sensor has or is it just bolted on the plate? plus mines won't fit backwards got a pic coming soon appreciate the response though.

if i loosen the bolts the sensor comes straight off is that the correct way or does the plate need to go through the space the sensor has?

Experienced TGC Member
    I could have sworn the lump goes twards the engine. By the way the sensor wires are crossed it looks like that's your problem. Thats why you have to remove the trigger plate before removing the sensor.
    Last edited by Sleepervr-4; 03-28-2012 at 07:13 PM
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Experienced TGC Member
    Yea this pic confirms your sensor is on backwards.

Yes you need the plate to go between the sensor, and you have the sensor on backwards

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

aha great news!!!! now does anyone have a pic of the correct way the sensor should be installed and the plate must be remove in order to install this correct right? Hanyes manual is confusing sometimes

and this can cause the sensor not to work correctly, my other question is would this throw a code? and can the sensor be damage by being installed backwards
    Last edited by Waka Flocka Eric; 03-28-2012 at 11:03 PM

Experienced TGC Member
    Don't know why my pic isn't working anymore but you have to remove the crank sprocket and trigger plate and install the sensor with the trigger plate then reinstall the crank sprocket.

Good stuff i really do appreciate this almost a year ive been trying to figure this out

so pretty much i flipped the sensor over(after removing the crank sprocket and trigger plate) then install with the plate going through the sensor. Haynes manual total murder the tutorial on this

and btw is there any special tool to take off the crankshaft sprocket
    Last edited by Waka Flocka Eric; 03-28-2012 at 11:48 PM

Try basics after you change your sensor over if no spark confirm it with a spark plug tester and if no fuel make sure, pull ur fuel rail inlet and wait for all the gas to drain. Then turn key over if no fuel well thats the problem. The only way to test a pcm or ecu you call it is to get another one and see what happens. like from a freinds car and try it. It cranks so its not a starter or battery issue. Hope this helps.

Experienced TGC Member
    Yes there is but you can just put in the proper screws in it (if you notice it has 2 threaded slots) and pull on the screws with a channel lock or something. It shouldn't be to hard to get off since it was removed a year ago.

You dont even need to remove the sprocket to turn the sensor around. Spin the engine over using a ratchet so that the smaller part of the trigger wheel is at the sensor, then just slide the sensor out, flip it, slide it back in and bolt it back down. Make sure you rotate the sensor the same way so that you dont mess up the wires, the wires shouldnt be crossed/twisted.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS