The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Are HID kits illegal for your state?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Are HID kits illegal for your state?

I was searching for Angel eye/HID kits and realized it might be illegal for the state i live in, Texas, but can't really confirm. Is there a loophole I should know about so i can purchase and install my HID kit?

Technically HID in a car/housing it wasn't designed for is illegal but there are things you can do to keep the police attention away.

Don't get rice blue lights, anything over 6000k and you are asking for trouble (not to mention reduced light output)

Don't just put the into your stock reflector housing.

In order to it as correct as possible get some OEM projectors (ex. Acura TL) and retro fit them into your headlight housing. You can also go with aftermarket projectors like the ones from TRS.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    If your car didn't already come with HID's from the factory then technically they are illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Like oak said, keep your light output at a moderate temperature and you will be fine. There are some vehicles that dont come equipped with projectors that still have factory HID bulbs installed. For instance my former '05 Altima V6 had factory HID's but had a regular reflector housing. Crazy part is it even had a slight cutoff even though they weren't projectors.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

I ended up ordering the 4300k just to be a safe side.... It should be a pure white light

pure white is around 5000K but 4300K is the best performing and brightest with a very slight yellow. if these are going into USDM heads, i hope you got H4 bi-xenon or hi/low at the least. i also suggest a relay harness to save your ballasts from starvation on ignite.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    I have 4300k in my JDM heads with the relay harness. N I believe HIDs just became illegal in Mass. Not sure. But everyone has HIDs nowadays.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

HIDs in reflectors wouldn't so bad if people adjusted their lights properly. Especially trucks/suv's

If you're going to toss them in normal housings, run a 35W bulb. Less likely to cause glare, especially at 4300K.

-Chris-

2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4L SOHC: "Octavia"
    2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe 2.4L DOHC

Quote Originally Posted by XxGiRLaNT06xX View Post
    From the looks of the girl, her face isnt that great.. nothing a paper bag couldnt fix... amirite?

Not to mention 55W are meant for show car usage only. Most cars are not meant to utilize 55W according to the salesman at DDM when I went to buy my kit.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

If you end up buying halo projectors on your other thread that are not retrofit you need H1 bulbs.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    HIDs in reflectors wouldn't so bad if people adjusted their lights properly. Especially trucks/suv's
    Haha I need to do that myself at some point my highs n lows are all cock eyed right now lol.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    Like oak said, keep your light output at a moderate temperature and you will be fine. There are some vehicles that dont come equipped with projectors that still have factory HID bulbs installed. For instance my former '05 Altima V6 had factory HID's but had a regular reflector housing. Crazy part is it even had a slight cutoff even though they weren't projectors.
    you can put HIDs in a headlight with reflectors. factory headlights that have HIDs and just reflectors have a reflector designed specifically for HIDs. the same goes with projectors, you have projectors designed for halogen and projectors designed for HIDs

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

can someone please upload pics of his retrofit with 4300K HID's ?
    i just wanna be sure that im going on 4300K and not 5000K

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    you can put HIDs in a headlight with reflectors. factory headlights that have HIDs and just reflectors have a reflector designed specifically for HIDs. the same goes with projectors, you have projectors designed for halogen and projectors designed for HIDs
    Ahhh I see...
    JDM Zenki Conversion