The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: General Head Gasket Questions

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

General Head Gasket Questions

Still having trouble with my head gasket so i'm replacing it yet again, just some quick question for anyone who has successfully done a head gasket change.
    1. Would using copper spray help
    2. Are cometic head gaskets the best to use even if i'm just trying to get the car up and running
    3. Besides getting the head pressure checked and milled(i also had it check for bent valves) is there anything else i should have checked?

The only thing differently i will be doing this time around is checking the block to see if it's warped along with buying a torque angle adapter for my torque wrench, maybe going with a different HG don't trust a felpro's anymore and might go with head studs. Any help is much appreciated

edit:also since it's a 2000 galant 2.4,4g64 parts should fit?
    Last edited by Waka Flocka Eric; 02-21-2013 at 02:29 PM

DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY straight edge the block and make sure it is within tolerances. You will keep replacing the HG if the block is warped.

Copper spray is a MUST!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Copper spray is a must? I've never used it. Not once. 600hp turbocharged and 400 on spray and an array of basic head gasket replacements.

Use an OEM gasket with new head bolts at the very least. You have to clean the absolute shit out of the deck. It not only has to be straight, but spotless.

thanks for the advise will be using copper spray this time around,as for using the copper spray just lightly coat both sides before installation, waiting until dry to install?as for checking the block a straight edge and feeler gauge should work? might just dragged the car to my local machine shop and get it milled as well.

I didnt use copper spray either when i replaced my hg. Almost a year driving since the replacement driving hard and no problems so far.

Copper Spray FTW! I've done a bunch of 4g63 head gaskets and my v6 head gaskets with this stuff. The guy that did my machine work on my block swears by it too. You can use your already crushed intake manifold gaskets with this spray as well. I used to buy a new intake manifold gasket every time I changed plugs or changed manifolds; but since I started using this stuff I have kept using the same one.

Also, Max Performance's book to building 4g63's uses Copper spray on ALL of their gaskets.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

x2 on the copper spray, I used it when I pulled my front head and for all the stuff for my cooling system, unless you forget to torque down bolts (for the cooling system, you damn well better for your head gasket regardless), it works wonderfully, also I have used this spray to track down cracks in radiators as the paint will run in contact with hot pressurized coolant
    Just because something is old, doesn't mean you throw it away

Geordi La Forge