The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Steering Wheel Squeeking

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Moosh

Steering Wheel Squeeking

Hi. My steering wheel began squeeking recently. I checked the fluid and it is full. My dad put WD40 in my steering wheel, and now it sounds worse than before. How can I go about fixing this squeek? How much would a mechanic charge to get it fixed? Thanks.

stormcruiser
    Check where the squeeking comes from.....I think it could be from power steering belt.....I had the same problem, and I just went to dealership to tighten the belt and the problem was solved like a joke.

IllestGalant
    if you rock the wheel back and forth with the car off, is it still there?

Moosh
    The steering wheel locks if I have the car turned off. Is there a way for me to rock it back and forth without the steering locking?

Faction
    hey moosh, i have more posts than you...lol...jk......my steering wheel squeaks too....its annoying and blah and yes its normal if the steering wheel locks, it unlocks when u stick the key in and put some play into the wheel...it loosens it up

Oli97GalantES
    Mine used to squeek too when I would turn the wheel, but I sprayed some WD40 on the steering wheel knuckle in the enigne compartment and that did the trick for me.

Moosh
    Can you tell me in detail where exactly is the steering wheel knuckle? I don't want to screw it up anymore than it already is. Thanks

Moosh
    I wanted to follow up on this problem. The popping noise was caused by the airbag clock spring getting hit by WD40 when I tried to get rid of the squeaking sound. Well, the popping noise went away after a long time. I am very glad it is gone, and I thank god for it. The squeak is like nothing to me now after I had to deal with my steering wheel making popping sounds when I turned. A word of advice, don't put WD40 anywhere without asking manybrews first.

IllestGalant
    you can rock the wheel with the key on, engine off. if it is still doing it it isn't a problem with the power steering pump or the fluid. If it stll makes the noise without the engine running then it is either the steering linkage, the steering column, or the airbag coil or clockspring as you called it. I highly doubt it is the steering shafts because they cause a clunk not a rubbing noise unless they are hitting something, again i doubt it. i had this concern and it was the airbag coil don't spray any lubricant because it is plastic not metal! good luck