The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 02 ls v6 balljoint issue???

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

02 ls v6 balljoint issue???

hey i have an 02 ls v6 and i thought my cv was bad so i brought it into the shop and they said my cv's are fine but my drivers front lower control arm ball joint is bad, i was shown what is going on and it literally floats in the control arm... i dont currently have $118 to replace the whole arm and the ball joint is only $44 so im looking to replace that if its pretty easy...

anyway i looked in my shop manual and searched online and having trouble finding any info on replacement, does it need to be pressed in or is it easy like some other cars and like a 20 minute fix???

Basically you have to replace the whole control arm. The ball joint is not serviceable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I know the 4 cylinder is that way. Just did mine...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 on ICS 4.0.4 via Tapatalk 2
    -Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by DTP View Post
    Basically you have to replace the whole control arm. The ball joint is not serviceable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I know the 4 cylinder is that way. Just did mine...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 on ICS 4.0.4 via Tapatalk 2
    ok, well partsgeek.com offers the dorman lower arm with bushings for $48.99 if its a good part ill use that, thats a great price...
    also im not sure which way to look at the part, is drivers side left, or right lol. its left sitting in car but right looking at it from front soo...
    Last edited by phatboyslim12; 08-19-2012 at 02:20 PM

Driver's side is the left where the driver sits and passenger is the right. Look at it from the perspective of sitting INSIDE the car.

Our control arms have a tendency for the ball joints to wear out prematurely, if you can get aftermarket for that price, it might be worth going for it, especially with a good warranty. If you can find them at your local parts store it's even better. Lifetime warranty means you can swap it every time it goes bad again.

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Driver's side is the left where the driver sits and passenger is the right. Look at it from the perspective of sitting INSIDE the car.

Our control arms have a tendency for the ball joints to wear out prematurely, if you can get aftermarket for that price, it might be worth going for it, especially with a good warranty. If you can find them at your local parts store it's even better. Lifetime warranty means you can swap it every time it goes bad again.
    well i ordered the one online for $47.99, $56 after shipping, i wasnt looking at spending $118 + tax at autozone so this price is great, also its dorman, the same part as autozone!!!

hey has anyone changed the control arm? is it easy or should i free a day to do the install? lol.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Its fairly easy. I've changed mine twice. I have Dorman control arms now. Once you unblot everything bang the ball joint out with hammer. Or wedge a screwdriver where the pinch bolt is n whack with a hammer to separate it a little.

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

Rockauto.com has them as well.
    GWAP STACKIN MAKE'S IT HAPPEN

lol, i already ordered mine, and corey thanks for the info, i have a tierod/balljoint puller thing that should work nicely without banging the car to pieces lol, the reason i asked how hard it was, is cause my friends like everythings gonna fall out lol, i dont think so but...