The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

I have a small oil leak, had it for a while. I just top it off between changes cuz I didn't know how to fix it and couldn't afford to pay for it. But I'd like to fix it now, so, assuming it's just the front gasket, how long should I expect it to take? And is it just a matter of loosening those 6 screws on the valve cover, taking the cover off, pulling out the old gasket, and swapping it?

On a related note, I'd like to upgrade the spark plugs, is it beneficial to do them both at the same time?

Last edited by oddball; 01-29-2014 at 02:12 PM
    GaB

If it's your first time and you're only doing the front valve cover, 1 hour max but seriously just go at your own speed, who cares how long it takes. It should be just the 6 bolts plus anything else you have to get out of the way. I would just buy the RockAuto gasket kit, I used the Fel-Pro kit, it fit pretty good, I think someone on TGC liked the Beck/Arnley kit better. Clean the engine surface the best you can before you put on the new gasket, the spark plug tube seals come in the kit too, go ahead and replace those too. I would only do the spark plugs if you plan on replacing all 6 and if you do all 6 plugs go ahead and replace the rear VC gasket too.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    Also, remember that when you change the gasket that when you take it off, undo the bolts from the outside in in a x pattern and when you put it back in do it from the inside out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

Okay thanks black. I'm actually gonna go to pullapart tomorrow and do a practice run on the gasket (and spark plugs if I can get those to work out), and I'll see what all I wanna do once I get that squared away.

And good lookin out Bloody Arro.
    GaB

Experienced TGC Member Bloody Arro's Avatar
    Is it a v6 or a i4? By the pic I'm guessing v6 from the valve cover, but idk lol.

If you have the v6, you will also need the upper intake manifold gasket since you will be taking that off to get the the rear plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue8g View Post
    And fwd grocery fetters are fun, you wouldn't be on this forum if you didn't agree
    Quote Originally Posted by 8thLS6 View Post
    Tuning to me is like magic... I don't understand it but it makes things happen lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Arro View Post
    Is it a v6 or a i4? By the pic I'm guessing v6 from the valve cover, but idk lol.
    V6

I went to Pull-a-Part and tried to figure out the spark plug situation; it was more involved than I'm willing to get right now, as I can't afford to screw anything up. I did, however, get the valve cover situation handled, I actually just took the valve cover off the car from Pullapart because it had a good seal, its engine bay was clean, and it had an aftermarket oil cap (I think that was one of my problems). Anyway, I swapped that out and put some copper gasket sealant in there (and did an oil change), and it seems to be working much better. I've only driven it for a week but there's no lifter tick, and I don't see any oil spilling anywhere, so unless something changes, I think this is solved.

Thanks everyone.
    GaB

I understand this to be older thread however, would like to know if spark plugs need to be removed in order to remove valve cover, in addition to removing the six 10mm bolts around cover, three bolts to loosen timing belt cover, PCV valve and hose on driver side of valve cover.

No the spark plugs can stay in.