The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g64 "better breathing" question

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

4g64 "better breathing" question

Well my galant finally ended up with a broken intake manifold, right behind the throttle body it broke clean off.

So now im in the process of either seeing if my buddy (who is I suppose some world class welder? Idk.) Can fix my intake manifold or I'll just have to buy a new one.
    Yes I know of the outlander intake swap I mean who doesn't given 2 seconds of research. But I'm not doing it.

Something has me thinking. I was reading 2g modifications to the 4g64 and apparently because of which way the engine faces the g63 exhaust manifold actually bolts right on for better breathing than the stock g64s. Which got me looking deeper into engine specs and what I've found was the g64 compared to the g63 is the g64 is high tq lower hp and vice versa for the g63. Kinda like the difference between a 4g93 and a 4g94. Seeing how the 4g64 has some spare tq numbers to lose Its got me dabbling into the idea of custom making my intake manifold. cutting the g64s flange off and welding it to the g63 intake manifold so it'll all bolt up. The g63 intake manifold has shorter runners which explains why the lower tq and higher hp so why couldn't I do the same?

He's a good friend so non of this would cost me anything but a new manifold which I'd have to pull from a yard anyways and while the manifold is off which ever I should choose to use I could get some port work in anyways.

why not take the exhoust manifold of since ure going to be welding and fabricating.. and just put a turbo on it ;)
    2001 Galant 2.4 USDM
    Old ones
    2X BMW E34 Blaaackkkk
    Isuzu Trooper mountain spec

If you think the intake manifold is all that contributes to the dyno nature of the 4g64 you are sorely mistaken and will be wasting money if you do anything beyond go to a junkyard and pull an unbroken manifold for $15 and throw it on.

The 64 has a piece of shit SOHC cylinder head and a cam with the consistency of a chewed up toothpick. It takes more than an intake manifold upgrade to make up any lost ground with it. It redlines at 6k and spinning it over that results in spun rod bearings. The best you can do is work with the power band it has.

You're clearly not thinking straight if you're willing to weld steel intake manifolds together when there is an aluminum manifold swap option that bolts up without fabrication. One that allows you to port and polish the manifold, run a slightly larger throttle body and never have to deal with the longevity problems involved with sheet metal. So what gives?

^^^Schooling them kids one newb at a time.

OP if the route you are planning to take was of any benefit I think someone would have tried it by now.

So far this is the 3rd or 4th thread this month trying to get the 4g64 to have more "pep" when really the results are minimal at best.

Again real mods will give you real gains for example 5 speed, DOHC head, forced induction. Any of these along with a tune or in combination with one or the other will prove to put actual meangful gains to the car, none of which are easy or cheap or free. And don't forget cars who are actually putting power down didn't do it overnight at there buddys house with a welder. It took years of trial and error, broken parts and sometimes coming very close to throwing in the towel.

Another point to bring up is maintenance, rarely does the manifold crack because the car was running perfectly fine. Usually a timing job gone wrong or bad motor mounts are to blame for cracked manifolds. So before even thinking about performance increases on the car make sure your maintenence is up to date to include replacing worn drivetrain components, tune up, fluid changes, suspension work... you get the idea.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 05-08-2014 at 01:31 AM

It was engine mounts, intake manifold was repaired (see post made for it), everything is almost at stage 0 now. Thanks for the positive post guys I knew you had faith in me :)

Silvertune, what aluminum intake manifold and throttle body. I'd like to know more about them.
    Thank you.
    Hershman

from the 2003 Outlander non-mivec, it's pretty common knowledge on here
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT