The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sporadic anti lock light?

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Sporadic anti lock light?

Hey I haven't had time to search yet so if this is common my apologies, I will search when I get home too but anyway:

My anti lock light has been coming on and off...it's on most of the time now but I noticed it was flickering on/off earlier and then turned off completely, only to turn back on a few minutes later.

The only thing I have changed since this started is:
    Replaced the rear brake pads the other day
    Went out with the guys and ran pretty hard around the lake and stuff (although the light was on prior to that too)

Attempted solutions:
    I know one of the lights (abs or brake) comes on with low fluid but my brake reservoir is full (assuming it would be brake light with handbrake associated anyway)

I will unhook the batteries tonight if I get time to see if that resets anything but I sorta doubt it?

Like I said, I will search tonight but at work so can't do much now...thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

Oh and if I remember correctly it started the other day on my way to work. Came up on a car that stopped quickly and nailed the brakes, abs did engage then.

I've also tried hittin them hard since (a buddy suggested) but abs didn't engage (although I wasn't trying super hard cuz I hate driving that hard)

Any ideas other than a dirty sensor?

the abs teeth on the axle could be dirty
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

abs works by the Hall Effect, which dirt really doesn't affect it. I would check for wires breaking continuity and then connecting again, which to me would cause the random light. Over bumps? or can the car be still and it will happen?

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

i have this problem on tributes a lot.....the abs ring on the axle corrodes and snaps, reach under there and check if the ring has dettatched from the axle and is spinning freely.

if not, could be a bad wheel speed sensor. see if you can find someone with a computer and monitor wheel speeds, if while youre coming to a stop the r/f wheel speed drops to 0 when the other three are, lets say, around 9, then thats your culprit.

Was at the parts store today for some other stuff and was talking with the manager up there...he mentioned I should go for a car wash, somehow that helps (I'm guessing cleans up some stuff?) and since then it hasn't been on. I'm going to be working on the car Friday/sat so I plan on taking a look around for sensors/wires and such just in case

Galantman it was happening both when driving and parked...go out, start the car, light starts flickering (sometimes) or just stays on. Be driving around and it goes out...randomly comes back on...I'm guessing was something excessively dirty or loose wire. Either way will be inspecting later this week before I move

Thanks everyone!

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    So I have been having this problem, and it seems like whenever it rains or I give the car a good wash my lights go off (From being on for a while) and then eventually turn back on. Where are the wires and this ring that I need to inspect? I have a haynes manual too if that helps!

Thanks guys!

Go to a car wash and spray the shit out of your rotor/caliper/hub area (if you can get to it per rim style) and it helps. Just a dirty sensor in my case

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Brilliant, Thanks Mate. Hope that works.

I have a similar problem, and it is due to float indicating the level of brake fluid, sometimes stays on after stepping potholes. I move my hand and problem solved

That's the "brake" light if I'm not mistaken, not the "ABS" one right? Cuz I used to have that problem when my fluid got a little low

I'm having this issue also... but mine is the abs light and tcl both coming on. Bad abs sensor? Needs a cleaning?

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Run an OBD II scanner on it, should pick something up

OBD II for abs and tcl? I'll try but last time I tried yo have codes read they were douches. I still have to go to my buddies place and get them read again.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Pretty sure...just ran codes on my girlfriends car and got stuff for IMA (Honda hybrid bullcrap), SRS, and ABS

Although her CEL was on and no ABS light so maybe that's why...but pretty sure you can probe all of it with OBD II