The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Starter Making noise

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Starter Making noise

I have looked and have not seen anything about this problem. I apologize in advance if I missed it. When I start my 2006 Galant with the 4 cylinder it makes a metal grinding type noise. It is my girlfirends car and it has made the noise since she got it. It sounds as if the bellhousing or something is making noise. Not sure the best way to describe it. The car stopped starting so I changed the starter and it started starting again, however it continued to make the noise and has stopped starting again. I took the starter back off and the Flywheel's teeth is worn really bad(and i'm aware it may be a flexplate, however all the parts people say its a flywheel on this model). I pulled the flywheel/torque converter off and another one is on the way. My question is do you think there is anything else that could be causing the problem or that is causing the gears to wear. I just want to make sure I fix the problem while its out so I won't have to take it back apart. And the flyweel/torque converter is once piece welded together.

Ive talked to someone face to face now and know its considered the torque converter with a starter ring attached to it. I found an article on another site that says this is a common problem if you replace the oem starter with an after market starter on 2006 models. Now to find one

I've put the torque converter on and put the transmission up to the motor, it won't go the last 1 to half inch. Any ideas guys

Make sure the alignment pegs are lined up

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

they were, I finally got it in. Not sure why it was giving me such a problem. After turning the convertor alot of times it finally sit in a little more and went together perfectly.

When you spun the motor it turn the torque converter to better align it with the transmission input shaft.

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Have you checked with mitsubishi if it's still under warranty? Family just bought a Mitsubishi Outlander, and I just found out that my 2012 was also still under warranty. 5 years to the 2nd owner. I strongly everyone to register at their website as the new owner. Mitsubishi has one of the best warranties out there, it's just not advertised that much like others. We also get free roadside assistance including running out of gas in the event that we do.

Starter might not be covered in the basic new car warranty, but I'm pretty sure internal components are. Including labor.