The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Heater won't face windshield

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Heater won't face windshield

Hey guys, new member here :) I have a 1999 2.4 Galant and I've been fixing it up. It has two problems still, I'm mechanically inclined but I think I need some assistance.
    1. The heater won't face the windshield for some reason, is it a lot of work to take the dash off and replace the cable?
    2. Car runs fine but has a lifter tick and every now and then ( 3-5 minutes) the idle stumbles. I have done a complete tune up as far as I can tell and there's no CEL or anything.
    Anyway if any of you could assist me with either of these issues I would appreciate it :) Going through the Haynes now we'll see what I find.

Pull the hvac route knob off, that is typically the reason you can't adjust where the air goes.

Lifter should be replaced. Rock Auto sells Sealed Power lifters which are better quality than OEM.

Idle stumble could be a great many things. You sure it isn't just the increased alternator load from the fans kicking on?

Ok thank you :) I don't know what the HVAC knob is (never worked on that part of a car.

Appreciate the recommendation for the lifters! Will definitely do that!

It is very possible it is increased alternator load, never thought of it. The rpms usually drop about 200-400 when it happens then it just goes back to normal.

I appreciate your help Silver! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    Lifter should be replaced. Rock Auto sells Sealed Power lifters which are better quality than OEM.

Are they really?

Sent From My Rooted Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Are they really?

I just found them, they're $10.50 a piece ($186 after tax for a full set). They look like they're better quality, definitely going to order some. I think the cable that switches the vents on my temp control unit might be broken. Should be a fun winter if I can't figure that out :) I love this car so I'm trying to fix it up.

I don't know about the older years, but you might be able to trace the cable and check it out without pulling the dash. Idk if there I'd any room or how accessible it is. Can it change positions at all? I would think that if it goes everywhere but the windshield then the cable may not be broken. Idk... I'm not an expert.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlackDragon View Post
    I don't know about the older years, but you might be able to trace the cable and check it out without pulling the dash. Idk if there I'd any room or how accessible it is. Can it change positions at all? I would think that if it goes everywhere but the windshield then the cable may not be broken. Idk... I'm not an expert.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk
    Hmm idk I'm going to check on Thursday, it doesn't do any other vents now. It just faces me and the knob to switch it doesn't click or anything when I turn it. I might just need a new temperature control unit, which I would be ok with since it's only $50 and easy to install. I'll tinker with it some more when I get time on Thursday to see if I can recognize the problem. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Are they really?
    Yep. Stiffer spring, stronger retainer. I run mine to 7500 with big cams and stiff springs and they don't flinch. They never tick period in the turbo car or the daily. Advanced Auto Parts sells the lifters also. If you buy on line and optimize the coupon application you can get them for way less than rock auto.

The cables go into HVAC housing near the bottom left. If you pull the center bezel you can trace them without pulling the whole dash. You will have to pull it if you find it's actually broken though. I can't remember if it requires changing the whole housing of it the cable itself can be replaced.

I work nights at Oreillys and we have them there, I get a good price on them, but I always thought of them as "Duralast" quality if you know what I mean.

I'll definitely remember that, coming from you, that particular review carries alot of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertune View Post
    Yep. Stiffer spring, stronger retainer. I run mine to 7500 with big cams and stiff springs and they don't flinch. They never tick period in the turbo car or the daily. Advanced Auto Parts sells the lifters also. If you buy on line and optimize the coupon application you can get them for way less than rock auto.

The cables go into HVAC housing near the bottom left. If you pull the center bezel you can trace them without pulling the whole dash. You will have to pull it if you find it's actually broken though. I can't remember if it requires changing the whole housing of it the cable itself can be replaced.
    Awesome thank you :) I remember last time I pulled it out the cable was attached but looked stretched, I had to order a temperature control unit anyway so I hope that was the problem. If not then I'll use the opportunity to fix and paint my dash haha. Does the cable move or is it electronic? I appreciate the help fellas!

Yeah the cable is falling apart so going to get a new one, also when I manually shifted the vents it felt quite difficult and it definitely looks its age haha Although it does look like it was greased up not too long ago. Also I plugged in a new climate control unit and it worked for like 30 seconds before quitting on me entirely. It looks as if there is a relay for climate control so I'm going to test the old unit first to make sure it's not the relay, if that doesn't work I'll test the relay. Also going to go the junkyard this week and pick up some Eclipse interiors and ordered a black dash cover.