The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trans Problem Slow to get forward gears 2001 2.4L

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Trans Problem Slow to get forward gears 2001 2.4L

New to later model galants.

I recently picked up a 2001 with a seized front balance shaft. I replaced the engine with a 2.4 out of a later eclipse.

Everything went smoothly except I noticed that when moving the shifter out of park, the trans will immediately engage reverse, selecting neutral will indeed put the trans in neutral however when I select drive it will remain in neutral or slowly (anywhere from 1 to 30 seconds) engage drive. If I shift all the way to 1st and then back to drive it will typically engage first gear, but some times I have to shift through all gears a couple times for it to finally engage.

I do not have any service lights on. It does find first gear (not locked in 3rd). When I get the car to work in drive it functions completely normal, shifting through all gears smoothly as I drive down the road.

Any suggestions? Thank you for your time.

Erik

One more thing. Can anyone recommend a transmission fluid for these cars?

Sounds like the AT shift cable needs to be adjusted.

The choice of fluid is Diamond SPIII feom a mitsu or hyundai dealer. You can also use Castrol or Valvoline Make sure its labeled "Import" and on the back of the bottle the label covers the SPIII fluid.

I am willing to try it. Is there a recommended adjustment procedure?

Also new news. I feel I make have added 4 quarts of the wrong atf I used a Castrol Transmax Dexron VI (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid. Could this be part of the problem? Looks like I am flushing the fluid.

Okay, I just went outside to look at it again. I checked fluid level and played with the electrical connector near the shifter linkage on the top of the transmission. Started the car and it was able to go immediately into drive with no delay.

Is it possible this could be a corroded connector? What is that connector for?

Thanks

The connector is important, thats how the PCM communicates with the transmission, (solenoids, sensors....)

Dexron VI is for General Motors. Wrong stuff bud.... flush it out.

I see that it was the wrong fluid... pretty bummed about that (way to go parts counter guy!)

I drove the car on a short trip today and had no shifting problems... I really think that connector was just making poor contact. I am going to be blown away if that was all it was.

Thanks for the help

Glad to help.

Remember, although its not the correct fluid, its basically still transmission fluid just not the right additives these autos want. While it may shift and run fine, every mile you put on it you are taking away from its life. Go to your nearest dealer and have it flushed out, tou can even go to a hyundai dealer. It runs 200 and when you break it down it really isn't a bad deal considering you didn't lift a finger. The auto takes 9 quarts total at about 9 a pop, thats 80 bucks, with the flush they use a detergent that runs through and through clean all the crap out, its 30, add an hour of labor and you dont have to get dirty or discard the oil, not only that they use a machine to suction every last drop from the torque converter that you would normally get to doing regular drain and refills.