The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: strange vibration issue

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

strange vibration issue

Ive searched.. researched.. and did everything i know to do. I have a vibration issue. It vibrates pretty moderate at idle and stopped in drive. Switching to park does ease it alittle. The vibration doesnt get worse when the ac is turned on. It goes away while driving.. it has good throttle response..gets up to speed ok..no vibration any other time driving.
    HOWEVER i have noticed that the more i drive the car through out the day...the less it vibrates. Its always worse ib the morning or first start up. Usually eases up after 3-4 hours of driving..whether constant or not on drive time.
    it has all new mounts (all4)
    spark plugs and wires 4 months old ( spark plugs still look great)
    Ive checked the harmonic balancer..it appears to be good.

I didnt change my coils..could a weak ignition coil cause this Without throwing a code? (I have no codes thrown).
    if it was a broke balance shaft belt it would be constant,right?
    03 galant es 2.4
    Last edited by N4aRush; 11-21-2014 at 09:41 PM

What mounts did you use?

I have an 8G with replaced mounts (not oem) and it has a vibration here and there.

From personal experience the patys store mounts don't last shit, especially the rear mount.

i got them offline they are quality mounts with a life time warranty... they have been on the car for about 3 weeks now. i inspect them every time i get home...i have suspected them a few times..BUT.. it was doing this before i replaced the mounts..that was my reason for changing them.

Lifetime warranty doesn't mean quality mounts. Parts stores offer lifetime warranty as well.

I still pin the blame on the mounts.

Faulty coils will cause misfires not vibrations.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Lifetime warranty doesn't mean quality mounts. Parts stores offer lifetime warranty as well.

I still pin the blame on the mounts.

Faulty coils will cause misfires not vibrations.
    Ok.. so even tho this was happening before the mounts? What's quality mounts? Got a link? Also a misfire can't cause vibration? Losing 25% of the engine randomly seems like it would cause vibration and throw off balance.
    Last edited by N4aRush; 11-21-2014 at 09:39 PM Reason: added to it

Also..if it is the mounts..what cause the issue to come and go..and be worse when its cold?

A coild misfire would cause severe vibrations from sputtering, and a check engine light. Quality mounts pretty much just OEM.

Try oemmitsubishiparts.com for best prices

Just wasnted to give an update for people searching..
    The problem has been resolved. Before i replaced my motor mounts my idle control sensor died.. while i was waiting for my new iac to come in.. i adjusted the b.i.s.s. screw out so it would be more tolerable. When my new iac came in..i turned the b.i.s.s. all the way closed and installed my new iac...reconnected the battery and forgot all about the b.i.s.s. screw.still had vibrations..so installed new mounts in return made the vibration alittle worse...
    One day it dawns that i screwed the b.i.s.s. all the way in and left it.. i did some research and found a basic how to...

" Simplest way to do it w/o logging tool.

Disconnect battery terminal and the ISC plug Get a new BISS screw o-ring seal and a cap and replace them. Screw in the BISS all the way and reverse it a full turn. Connect battery terminal and start the car with the ISC unplugged (it may throw a code for that). If the car doesnt start the unscrew another turn, if it starts and it idles too high then screw it in some more. The point is to get the car idling steady at around 900 rpms. Shut the car off, plug the ISC connector. Start the car, if it idles the same good, if it doesnt then adjust to 900 rpms again. Unplug the battery, wait 5 min, connect it again, the idle should be still 900. Go for a drive with lots of traffic lights for at least 20 min. Make a stop, put it in Neutral and check idle, adjust if needed"
    After i did this..the car has been smooth as butter..been a few days now and im extremely happy...
    sorry so long.. i just wanted details for people who search and find this thread.
    Last edited by N4aRush; 11-23-2014 at 10:52 PM Reason: mis spelled words

Glad it was figured out. I was set on it being the mounts, however I didn't realize the recent repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by N4aRush View Post
    Just wasnted to give an update for people searching..
    The problem has been resolved. Before i replaced my motor mounts my idle control sensor died.. while i was waiting for my new iac to come in.. i adjusted the b.i.s.s. screw out so it would be more tolerable. When my new iac came in..i turned the b.i.s.s. all the way closed and installed my new iac...reconnected the battery and forgot all about the b.i.s.s. screw.still had vibrations..so installed new mounts in return made the vibration alittle worse...
    One day it dawns that i screwed the b.i.s.s. all the way in and left it.. i did some research and found a basic how to...

" Simplest way to do it w/o logging tool.

Disconnect battery terminal and the ISC plug Get a new BISS screw o-ring seal and a cap and replace them. Screw in the BISS all the way and reverse it a full turn. Connect battery terminal and start the car with the ISC unplugged (it may throw a code for that). If the car doesnt start the unscrew another turn, if it starts and it idles too high then screw it in some more. The point is to get the car idling steady at around 900 rpms. Shut the car off, plug the ISC connector. Start the car, if it idles the same good, if it doesnt then adjust to 900 rpms again. Unplug the battery, wait 5 min, connect it again, the idle should be still 900. Go for a drive with lots of traffic lights for at least 20 min. Make a stop, put it in Neutral and check idle, adjust if needed"
    After i did this..the car has been smooth as butter..been a few days now and im extremely happy...
    sorry so long.. i just wanted details for people who search and find this thread.
    Are u kidding? Input like this is always valued. That's what makes this forum the "go to" whenever we need a little guidance. A little research and u can find anything here. It is actually somewhat annoying when im looking through posts and the author who posted the questions and received answers doesnt follow up with the final resolution. Thank u for taking the time to let us know how it turned out. Glad she's running smooth again. :)

I totally agree with melwood, my 99 galant has developed a vibration, and your update gives me one more possible reason.
    Thank you.
    Hershman

Would this apply to a V6 also. I could not find a reference to a BISS screw on my 00 Galant V6. Issue - Chasing a P400 code. I have tested all the EGR parts under the hood and verified proper operation and voltages. Still have to check the rear fuel system parts.