The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MAF issue?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

MAF issue?

03 g 2.4

I'm having an idle issue. Fluctuating idle. ~800 - 1000 rpms. Kinda a stubbling rhythmic idle. Goes away while in gear.

I ran some tests on the MAF. I found this site

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/mitsu...sensor-tests-1

I ran the first 2 tests (12v positive and the 12 negative, for continuity purposed)

I cant run the Hz test, my multimeter doesnt read that.

I did the 4th test and it said my readings should be under 1 volt at idle, and between 6 and 9 at 1/3 trottle.

My readings were:

13ish volts for the first 2 tests.

the 4th test, i got 0.13 volts at idle. and 7 volts at 1/3 throttle.

I unplugged the MAF and it idled up to around 1500. It's been cleaned recently.

Engine light is on. P0131 O2 sensor....... The 1st is only about 2 years old. Hardly any miles on it. The rear Has never been changed. It actually has the fouler fix on it. (gutted pre-cat).

Any help would be good.
    Last edited by Moose; 12-16-2014 at 03:18 PM
    03 Galant - Stock - 4cyl/auto - 185k miles

So are you still having your idle issues detailed in this thread?

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...-Bucking-Kinda

Or is this a different issue or duplicate thread?

No, the bucking went away after the TB cleaning. Hasent done the bucking in a little while. Compaired to everytime i drove it. Still having idle issues, but it runs, before it wouldn't run to well (stay running). So its kinda the same, kinda not. I wish i knew more about these cars....

For a free car, this is starting to cost me a lot of money. I feel like something went bad right about the same time.

The current condition is that the car runs just fine. But it has a fluctuating idle.... right about 800... slowly rising to about 1050 then dropping hard to about 700. For a split second, like someone cut the A/C on then back off. Before it did this 4 or 5 times a minute, now its not nearly at quick, maybe once a minute. Cleaned MAF sensor. Dont think it changed anything.

CEL is on. Cant remember the codes exactly.... dude didnt give me a printout... COULD be P0131 & P0134 or P0171 & P0174. Cant get the car checked right now. He did say it was a RICH condition, on bank 2.

Milage has DRASTICALLY dropped. I got 67 miles from a half tank. I typically got 400 miles to a tank. I did have white smoke coming from the exhaust, that seemed to go away. But i havent driven it much here recently. I'm afraid ill destroy the engine eating fuel like it is. I could live with the idle issue if it wasnt eating gas. <<<So i guess thats my current issue... And i guess at the end of the day, the original issue is probably related.

To add to things, the engine doesnt seem to create much vacumm. The 3 lines on top of the throttle body dont do anything when they are unplugged. The only one that does anything is the big one that goes into the valve cover. This could be normal, just a little strange to me.

The rythmic idle seems to be at its worst when its been driven. This is getting beyond annoying.

Throttle body has been cleaned
    MAF has been cleaned
    IAC was removed and wiped down. All 4 ports test about 31.5 ohms.
    Pulled the plug wires to check for oil, all dry.

Is it possible the ECU needs some learning after the various sensor cleanings?

I did clear it the other day, but the light returned, after about 2 minutes of idling. Also the car was warm when i did this... does it need to be 100% cooled off for a proper ECU learning?

Your help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Moose; 12-17-2014 at 03:28 PM

Fixed.... Vacumm leak. Bottom side of throttle body. Whats that thing called anyway? Round facing, 1 bolt holding it inplace, with a spring that goes into the throttle body.

Everything is as it should. 100%.