The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Blacked out my roof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 28

Blacked out my roof.

So, this happened today. I will have to get some better pics of the whole car with my better camera as soon as I can, but I am excited so I wanted to share. Just got the GTZ a couple of months ago. The original paint is in great shape except for some oxidation on the roof, that I couldn't bear to see every day...so thought I'd cover it up with some 3M 1080 vinyl film. I love it!

2001 Galant GTZ

I like it a lot!!
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

looks good. How difficult was it to put the vinyl? I was just talking to a buddy about doing this to his car.

Order some the other day, glad to see it turned out this good. I've been searching for a pic of someone who had it done already. Props

I have an addiction to 8G's

A few more pics, better quality.

2001 Galant GTZ

That's vinyl? Looks like paint. Damn good job!

Might be stealing this idea soon, my roof is starting to oxidize slightly. From sitting I'd imagine.

-Greg

"I smashed up the grey one, bought me a red;
    Every time we hit the parking lot we turn heads!"
    -Pimp C, "International Players Anthem"

Car is looking great, only thing I would change is the grill, I'd cut the "fins" out and get the grill sanded and color match painted to the car.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

It looks great! I love black roofs! Babyg has one as well and tswizzle will too!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I cannot stand the fad of having black hood, roof, and trunk but doing just the roof...I like it! very cleanly done too...like greg said, damn good job =D

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

Quote Originally Posted by wetamup2k3g View Post
    That's vinyl? Looks like paint. Damn good job!
    Yeah, I wanted a gloss black to kind match the windows. I don't like the look of a carbon fiber or flat black roof that doesn't match anything. I didn't do it myself, I paid a place to do it. They did a pretty good job, it's not perfect but it's way better than I could have done, and it was cheaper than repainting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    Car is looking great, only thing I would change is the grill, I'd cut the "fins" out and get the grill sanded and color match painted to the car.
    I agree that the fins don't really go with the sportier look of the black roof. Cutting them out sounds like way too much work though. I think I am going to mask off the outside of the grill and paint the fins gloss black to match the roof. The grill is actually the same color as the car (it's a GTZ), but it kind of looks chrome in the pics. I think I will also get the 2002 headlights with the black housing to match the black theme. Anyone know if 2002 headlights are directly interchangeable with a 2001?

Quote Originally Posted by demond0d5 View Post
    I cannot stand the fad of having black hood, roof, and trunk but doing just the roof...I like it! very cleanly done too...like greg said, damn good job =D
    Yeah, I would never black out the hood and/or trunk, but I love just the roof. Really updates and modernizes the car without looking too "teenagery", and it looks even better than some newer cars with black roofs where the roof doesn't continue in the same line as the front and rear windows, i.e Kia Optima.

Thanks for the compliments!

2001 Galant GTZ

Yes you can use 2002-2003 headlights, I have them on my 2001, direct fit.

I know the GTZ came with color match grills but yours looks chrome, lol, my bad.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Paint the entire grill black!

I could make ya a mesh grill and black it out if ya want...PM me if you're interested:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

Quote Originally Posted by Zequel View Post
    I agree that the fins don't really go with the sportier look of the black roof. Cutting them out sounds like way too much work though. I think I am going to mask off the outside of the grill and paint the fins gloss black to match the roof. The grill is actually the same color as the car (it's a GTZ), but it kind of looks chrome in the pics. I think I will also get the 2002 headlights with the black housing to match the black theme. Anyone know if 2002 headlights are directly interchangeable with a 2001?
    !
    I have a pair of black 2002 headlights i'm trying to sell. If you are interested PM me

Experienced TGC Member SleekGTZ's Avatar
    Very nicely done blacked out roof. I like it a lot.

Very nice and and the same can be said about the car overall. I'm in the same boat with the same silver smh. Luckily a local reputable tint shop does wraps now and has a FB page. They recently just did a carbon wrap on both roof and mirrors for a newer m series bmw. So if bad turns to worse I might go there.

I'm just curious as to how much they charged you... Looks great by the way

It looks awesome! did you do it somewhere near SLC? would you mind PM me the price and the place? kinda interested

It was DC Customs in Bountiful, Utah. They did it for $175.

2001 Galant GTZ

Seems like a reasonable price to me, especially since it looks so good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast