The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: blowing head gaskets

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

blowing head gaskets

Hello everyone. I have a 99 galant 2.4l.
    I just replaced the head gasket for the second time, in four yrs, with maybe 15k in between
    The two. This time I had to get a new head, I got lucky and found one at pick n pull.
    In amazing shape, not even wear marks on the cam, valves still shinny.
    I know where I screwd up. I reused the head bolts. My bad.
    Here is my question, with a more or less new head on my motor. Will that cause problem's in the lower end. (If I had the money, trust me I would have pulled the whole motor)

Make sure the deck of the block is clean and free of debris or gasket material.

As long as your bottom end is healthy you'll be fine. Torque the head properly to specs and use an known good torque wrench. Use a rubber cleaning wheel on a rotary air tool clean the deck carefully so you dont pit it.

Don't forget to replace the thermostat and water pump, you're already in there and its cake walk to do it while its open.

Raider thanks for the peace of mind, since I was in it, I did replace all those plus the timing and oil belts. Just having
    a problem with the idle, and egr valve.
    Have you heard the rumours about Davis wanting to move the Raiders to San Antonio Texas.

Clean the egr valve with carb cleaner and make sure all those vacuum lines are good. Also EgR valve suction all starts at the throttle body, make sure the TB gasket is good, if in doubt replace it its $3, be sure its the right one.

And yes I have heard about them. Honestly I'm neither for it or against it. At this point, anything to try and get a winning season, they've sucked bad since the superbowl choke in San Diego.

felpro head bolts are like 25 buck on ebay. Check for warpage on both mating surfaces
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Yes do replace those headbolts, they can stretch giving you incorrect torque readings.