The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine Misfire No Spark on Two Cylinders?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Engine Misfire No Spark on Two Cylinders?

I have a V6-24V HJ. I started it up after not running it for a few years. In preparation I had bought new spark plugs and leads (I think you call them 'wires' in the US) because I remember it was running on only about 4 cylinders just before I stopped driving it. I changed the front three plugs and leads (because they were easliy accessible) and then fired the engine. It started but it runs rough. It seems to be running on 4 cylinders still.

I pulled all the leads in turn and it seems there is no spark on two of them and they are on the same 'coil pack?'. Don't know if that is the right terminology. Any ideas on rectifying this issue?

Incidentally, in case anyone asks, no I didn't drain the fuel tank as I couldn't see a drain plug and there was less than a 1/4 of a tank in it. I just filled up on good fuel (gas). I'll change fuel filter after going through this tank.
    Last edited by Crankitup; 03-30-2015 at 05:16 AM Reason: typo

No one has any idea?

First of all, what year is your Galant? If you have a 7th Gen Galant it would either have the 6A11 or 6A12 engine, do you know the engine size/displacement?

Naturally you will want to inspect the spark plugs to see if the two cylinders in question are soaked in fuel. There is a somewhat simple way to check for spark if you haven't yet...You can use a insulated screwdriver (or a in-line spark tester if you are concerned), simply place the screwdriver near the spark plug wire/lead and crank the engine. If you get no spark, then you would need to check the distributor.

Def replace all spark plugs and wires. Try to check for spark, as Dave suggested, on each cylinder. If no spark it could be either the coil pack or power transistor.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    First of all, what year is your Galant? If you have a 7th Gen Galant it would either have the 6A11 or 6A12 engine, do you know the engine size/displacement?
    1994 Galant V6 24V 2 litre (2000cc). I think in the Australian market there was only two types of engine released. A 2L 4 cylinder and a 2L V6.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Naturally you will want to inspect the spark plugs to see if the two cylinders in question are soaked in fuel. There is a somewhat simple way to check for spark if you haven't yet...You can use a insulated screwdriver (or a in-line spark tester if you are concerned), simply place the screwdriver near the spark plug wire/lead and crank the engine. If you get no spark, then you would need to check the distributor.
    I worked out which wires had no spark on by pulling them when the engine was running. When I pulled any of the 4 that were sparking normally the engine stopped running. When I pulled any of the two that weren't sparking, the engine kept running. I'm really a novice when it comes to engines. Could you tell me what's involved in checking the distributor?

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Def replace all spark plugs and wires. Try to check for spark, as Dave suggested, on each cylinder. If no spark it could be either the coil pack or power transistor.
    The two that aren't sparking were two of the new plugs and wires that I replaced. So as you say it must be the coil pack or power transistor. I'll try and find something on these forums about troubleshooting them. Thanks.

Maybe I could just swap the power transistors around to find out if that is the cause?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankitup View Post
    Maybe I could just swap the power transistors around to find out if that is the cause?
    That is a sensible and inexpensive diagnostic option, start with that, see if the misfire changes cylinders.