The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: heat wrap for intakes worht it ?.?

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Icon5 heat wrap for intakes worht it ?.?

Has anyone tried the heat wrap on the cold air intakes or short rams??
    Any "power" difference :

I'm going to go ahead and say no, it is not worth it. It might gain you 0.2 horsepower tops. Also, this is not the correct section to be posting questions like this. The Member Rides section is for showcasing what you've done, not for contemplating what you're about to do. Moving to the 8G Performance forum.

Even if .2 gain were true. 3HP gain isn't even a noticeable gain.

Air passes through so quickly at WOT it doesn't have enough time to warm up, especially in an NA engine bay.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 03-31-2015 at 11:48 AM

For a cheap dyi on a n/a I say go for it. After market metal piping practically sitting on top of a hot engine where stock is plastic and doesn't absorb heat the same way is actually reversing any kinda effect a "cold air intake" could possibly have. Lower wind speeds from larger plumbing and surface heat of a large section of piping. There really isn't much to gain HP wise however it will bring back the reasoning behind a cold air intake. Spend less than 5$ it'll give you something to do.

Spending the same amount of money and wrapping your (headers) exhaust manifolds is smarter. That will actually make a difference.....intakes don't make any difference at all except sound honestly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

Quote Originally Posted by demond0d5 View Post
    Spending the same amount of money and wrapping your (headers) exhaust manifolds is smarter. That will actually make a difference.....intakes don't make any difference at all except sound honestly

If you mean by trapping in moisture and accelerating the amount of time you'd need to buy a new set of headers, then yes. It makes a difference.

Headers = ceramic coating.

If all you do is throw some cheap wrap on, then yeah...if you do it the right way, then you're wrong.
    Take em and sand em down, spray em with a ceramic high temp paint. This will keep the moisture out.
    The wrap em...then paint the wrap too for good measure.
    Ceramic coating is awesome but I wasn't talking about a 300 process. I was giving you a better alternative that will actually do something for the same cost you already wanted to do.

If you wrap your intake be sure to post videos of your ricer flyby on a minivan, those are impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by demond0d5 View Post
    If all you do is throw some cheap wrap on, then yeah...if you do it the right way, then you're wrong.
    Take em and sand em down, spray em with a ceramic high temp paint. This will keep the moisture out.
    The wrap em...then paint the wrap too for good measure.
    Ceramic coating is awesome but I wasn't talking about a 300 process. I was giving you a better alternative that will actually do something for the same cost you already wanted to do.

If you wrap your intake be sure to post videos of your ricer flyby on a minivan, those are impressive.

You don't wrap an intake, you sleeve it.
    and you can't ricer fly by that dodge 3.3 loll

I own one. I now know why all soccer moms are never late.

Quote Originally Posted by 2001 galant es View Post
    Has anyone tried the heat wrap on the cold air intakes
    I'm going off OP original question.
    (And I thought you were OP, my bad)

Quote Originally Posted by Bllrmbltz View Post
    Lower wind speeds from larger plumbing and surface heat of a large section of piping. Spend less than 5$ it'll give you something to do.
    what lower wind speed ? i'm not understanding your analogy of this. also what wrap is less than $5 ?? unless you meant $50 ??
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R