The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Removing Window Tint

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Removing Window Tint

The guy who owned the car before me didn't take car of the tint and used the wrong cleaning solution so it is a bluish purple instead of black now.. I'm going to get new tint but the store I was going to charges $65/hour for removal, which brings me to my question: Is it worth spending the money to have it done or could I take it off with a razor blade myself?

Has anyone done it before and have any suggestions or things you would have done differently?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

do it yourself, I used a heat gun, a sunny day, razor blades and brake cleaner (and goggles), takes awhile but a lot safer than the douches that use straight ammonia and trash bags taped up (that's how the tint guy told me to do it and most of the internet said)

I've read on a corvette forum to use aircraft remover, I think it's like paint remover, they said the 1st layer flakes off, then apply again and the 2nd layer flakes off.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

The purpose of the brake cleaner is to break down the adhesive behind the tint? Approximately how long did it take you to do the whole car?

Quote Originally Posted by Black8GV6 View Post
    do it yourself, I used a heat gun, a sunny day, razor blades and brake cleaner (and goggles), takes awhile but a lot safer than the douches that use straight ammonia and trash bags taped up (that's how the tint guy told me to do it and most of the internet said)

I've read on a corvette forum to use aircraft remover, I think it's like paint remover, they said the 1st layer flakes off, then apply again and the 2nd layer flakes off.
    Trashbag method is to prevent the defroster lines from getting damaged. Works well, need a sunny day though.
    Last edited by oakrdrs187; 04-09-2015 at 10:57 AM

I might just leave the rear window tint for them to do, I'm a little leery about damaging the defroster lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    I might just leave the rear window tint for them to do, I'm a little leery about damaging the defroster lines.
    Same here, to be honest I would leave it all to them, that way if am issues arises they can't say I didn't properly remove to film. Around here theres a tinter who gave me a straight up quote if about 180 to do the whole car and strip it too, and every window had film. He does quality work, works out of his home, garage is all set up for it, he's been the for years, he backs it with a lifetime warranty. He's his own company so he can call his own shots. I would say find somebody like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Techn0Nut1996 View Post
    The purpose of the brake cleaner is to break down the adhesive behind the tint? Approximately how long did it take you to do the whole car?
    I did the passenger window, took 10 to 15 minutes, sun was too hot so I went back inside, lol, it was bubbling and that window regulator broke so it was kind of dangerous trying to pull out and I couldn't see out.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Same here, to be honest I would leave it all to them, that way if am issues arises they can't say I didn't properly remove to film. Around here theres a tinter who gave me a straight up quote if about 180 to do the whole car and strip it too, and every window had film. He does quality work, works out of his home, garage is all set up for it, he's been the for years, he backs it with a lifetime warranty. He's his own company so he can call his own shots. I would say find somebody like that.
    That's a good deal, the places around here want 150-180 to tint my car and additional 200 to take the old tint off
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Around me its $150 for tint plus taking the original off, I was gonna take all the side windows off and leave the rear window that way it's as cheap as possible for me.

EDIT: I found a guy who charges $149.99 + $35 for removing the rear window only, with tax the total is just shy of $200. I think I found my guy.
    Last edited by Techn0Nut1996; 04-09-2015 at 02:03 PM

you can do it yourself...just grow a pair. Search on youtube, Mighty Car Mods has an episode and talks you through a good way to do it. $200 is a lot for something that just takes a little patients

2000 Galant bagged and boomin!

I never knew it was that hard to remove, I had my windows tinted around 04' and about 2012 I peeled off the rear window so easily just by peeling up a corner. I had a good tint job too so its not like it was bubbled or peeling up by itself. I guess I was lucky but now I know if I ever decide to do it again it aint so easy.

I've seen Moog and Marty do it and I think I'll just have a professional do it. Could I do it myself? Sure, but I know I would be pretty pissed if it didn't come out perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    I never knew it was that hard to remove, I had my windows tinted around 04' and about 2012 I peeled off the rear window so easily just by peeling up a corner. I had a good tint job too so its not like it was bubbled or peeling up by itself. I guess I was lucky but now I know if I ever decide to do it again it aint so easy.
    Peeling the tint off is easy, the hard part was the damn glue. Even after using a heat gun I had to use some adhesive remove to get it perfectly clean. Took about 2 hours to do the 4 windows and the two little ones in the rear doors, I took my time with it though.

Quote Originally Posted by xd_01 View Post
    Quality film will peel off in one piece, leaving little to no glue on the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Quality film will peel off in one piece, leaving little to no glue on the glass.
    My old tint must have been pretty shitty then haha

Final results:

35% front 20% everywhere else minus the windshield.

nice door handles...your car has tons of potential bro...keep it up

Thanks man!