The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Noisy lifter and it's long term side effects.

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Noisy lifter and it's long term side effects.

My Galant recently started ticking; It's upper engine so I can only assume It's coming from the valve train. From what I've read; Galants are notorious for lazy lifters. So my question is, will this cause any other long term effects to the engine? If so, what kind of damage? I would also like to know if anyone else has had this problem, and what they did; if anything, to fix this problem.

03 Galant with a 2.4 engine.

I have the same issue for a while now but seafoam has seemed to work for me

Quote Originally Posted by tom630 View Post
    I have the same issue for a while now but seafoam has seemed to work for me
    Yea; I tried using Lucas, but it did nothing for my car. I could just replace the valve lash adjusters; but I'd really like to know if this problem will cause any further damage if left untreated for a while.

I ran the seafoam thru a vacum line on the intake manifold and it stopped the ticking instantly

I ran the seafoam thru a vacum line on the intake manifold and it stopped the ticking instantly
    Hmm, wouldn't hurt to try; which Seafoam product did you use? There's a few of them out there.

Use the can with the twist top not the one with a spray nossle should be like 10 bucks at the auto store. But there will be a good amount of smoke from the exhaust. As a heads up

I'll try that; one last question, which vacuum line did you use? I might as well try to reenact what you did.

Yea, my intake manifold doesn't have that line, go figure; lol. I'm not sure which line feeds all 4 cylinders either. If any of you know, please post on here!

Mine doesn't have that particular hose; but the pcv valve hose goes directly into the intake manifold; that should be fine enough to put the Seafoam in.

As soon as I took that picture earlier . I took a look at my vacuum hoses and noticed they were all cracked up so started replacing them today. I would take a look at them as well just to double check

Well; I can verify that it worked!
    I put 1/3 of the Seafoam bottle into my brake booster hose; and it stopped ticking! I'll be honest; Seafoam in the vacuum line was the last thing I thought would fix my problem; but apparently it worked like a charm. And I still have 2/3 of the bottle left. And yea; I was inspecting my hoses as I was looking for a good hose to put it in; thankfully, they're all fine.

Has anybody tried this on a V-6?

Should be the same concept

Yea, it should be the same; just make sure that which ever hose you use goes into the intake manifold. I would check to see if the brake booster hose goes into the intake manifold; if it does, use that one.

I have done on both i4 and V6. The effects are temporary. The tick will be back, what needs to be done to fix the problem rather than mask it is to clean/bleed the lifters in diesel. This will get rid of the sludgy build up inside the lifter that causes it to lose its firmness and start to tick.

Yea; but I'm not even sure how adding Seafoam through a vacuum line temporally fixed the problem; unless the problem was a dirty valve. But I did find a good PDF for cleaning the lifters. I'll post it for anyone who needs it.

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/h...r+cleaning.pdf

Awesome I'll definitely take a look at it

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    I have done on both i4 and V6. The effects are temporary. The tick will be back, what needs to be done to fix the problem rather than mask it is to clean/bleed the lifters in diesel. This will get rid of the sludgy build up inside the lifter that causes it to lose its firmness and start to tick.
    he is right, done this to my turbo one and the tick went away, also they do make revised lifters with a bigger oil port and that works too. but seafoam fixing this issue is nothing but a coincident.
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

I hear Sealed Power makes a good aftermarket lifter. Can be found at most parts stores.