The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Transmission problems

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Transmission problems

I´m back guys. I purchased a 1999 Galant es 2.4 l. Guy recently replaced the engine with one off of a 2003. Engine is running well no leaks, but i am concerned it decides to shut off sometimes when stopping at a light. The transmission supposedly is the original from 1999 with 199,000. It is the trans with filter on top. I am a little confused and hopefully you guys can guide me better. I heard there are two trans for this vehicle. one with filter (what i have) one without. The problem i am having is that the car under a good amount of power is decent but when cruising or catching up speed it begins to shutter and jump down a gear and come back and jump to 3rd and back to 4th a lot. It worries me that I need to just replaced trans and or torque converter. Is it by chance that the trans is not right for engine since the year changed from 99 to 03? <i will be posting and update soon of the new car :) I am a very very very happy customer hahah Once we get the mechanics back up and running properly I can begin to look into mods. Thanks in advance for any info possible.
    Diego

Experienced TGC Member
    To bad you live in Tx. I have two trans. One with 70k and one with 150k. Both out of 02. . But I dont think they will work. I think 99 -01 is different than 02-03.. Someone Correct me if im wrong.

Can it be causing the car to act completely differently? No codes present. Guy put 02 motor on the original 99 trans.
    Diego

Experienced TGC Member
    The motor I think is the same.

Replaced trains and torque converter with one from 02 w no outer filter. Same problem when I drove home. Still had some shuttering occurring. Now though it also popped p0750 and p0755 for solenoid a and b. I need to look at wiring to see what the damn deal is since I doubt the trans I got from junk yard has bad solenoids :/any input would be great.

Side note I heard a vacuum leak from intake manifold area. Think that when whoever did the engine swap, may have damaged it. Hopefully that has something to do with the shuttering. That'd be awesome.
    Diego

I hate the word shudder, shutter.

It quite possible you had engine problems and not transmission problens to begin with. Now that you have an 02 trans there is no VSS, that and the possible difference in wiring could be triggering the light. I would go exchange that transmission for one with the external filter.

I looked at the motor mounts which are shot. I'm going to replace the mounts since it's needed and we will see where that goes.
    Diego