The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Head Gasket Please Help. :086:

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

Head Gasket Please Help. :086:

Ive looked all over the web trying to find a mitsubishi specific head gasket replacement tutorial but Ive found nothing. Im really set on learning it but I have no sources. Ive seen a few videos on replacing head gaskets but they dont come with tutorials on how to get to the head gasket. I dont have the money to get a professional job done. If anyone could walk me through it thatd be great. if not its ok. But anyways my car does have a fair amount of white smoke out the tail pipe. it doesnt leave big thick clouds. its just a little amount. My Car is not overheating, and Im pretty sure theres no coolant loss. so Im unsure if the real issue is a head gasket or not. I plan to buy a combustion leak test to confirm that its the head gasket. if the test is positive then I have no idea what I need to buy to get the job done other than new bolts and head gasket. what I really need to know is everything Im going to need to get to the head gasket and if the engine needs to be removed or not in order to do so, and how to get to it. Please Help!! :( My Car is a Mitsubishi Galant 2000 LS 6cyl

If it's white smoke your probably burning oil through the valve guide seals if that's the case you would still have to remove the heads to service them. If it's smoke with a blueish tint then your burning coolant. There's a link on the forum for the tech manual for the 8g you could use that as a ref or you could go buy a Haynes manual from your local parts store. Personally I would use the factory tech manual because it breaks it down allot better.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTower89 View Post
    If it's white smoke your probably burning oil through the valve guide seals if that's the case you would still have to remove the heads to service them. If it's smoke with a blueish tint then your burning coolant. There's a link on the forum for the tech manual for the 8g you could use that as a ref or you could go buy a Haynes manual from your local parts store. Personally I would use the factory tech manual because it breaks it down allot better.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

you mixed them up. bluish white smoke is oil, all white smoke is coolant. im not too familiar with the 6g72 but if you put a funnel on the radiator and bubbles come out then your head gasket is leaking. you could also put a pressure tester on the radiator over night and pull the plugs and see if any coolant is leaking into the cylinders.