The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Vibration after timing belt change

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Vibration after timing belt change

I've had my Gallant for a year and it has 200,000 miles. It was time to do a timing belt so I took it to my Audi/BMW mechanic and he did it at his house. He also rebuilt an Audi A4 motor for me years ago and it was flawless.

He texted me mid job to ask if the motor had been running odd because the balance shaft was 90 degrees off where it should be. I told him I am not sure how that could be as the motor is as smooth as silk. He put it in the "correct" position and finished the job and it now buzzes like there are bees everywhere in the car. I feel it in the gas pedal, doors and anything not tied don in the car.

He is going to reposition it this weekend, but can anyone point me towards how he should be lining this up correctly?

Thanks,

CT

I think he needs to rotate the balance shaft back to the original position. It happened to me too. I think this video gives you an idea how to correct it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtTcRru-C-U

sounds like the oil pump balnce shaft is out. if you look at the belt, the pulley all the way to the bottom right is the oil pump. the balance shaft may be right but if you pull the plug on the front of the engine and insert a screw driver it should slide right in, if not your oil pump balance shaft is off.

dnewton3
    I have done my 2.4L timing set (cam and balancer belts). When done correctly is is very smooth. Your mechanic, despite his probable best intent, has it the timing off for the balancer.