The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Mitsubishi Paint Defect

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

Mitsubishi Paint Defect

Has anybody here dealt with Mitsubishi repainting their car after the infamous "defective paint" problem? I only ask because I an still dealing with it and am wondering if I am the only one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I had my car repainted a few years ago, and the "cancer" is back. You must have to completely get rid of all the oem paint, like bare metal. I think I'm just going to Line-X it.
    15 F150 3.5 ecoboost 4x4 - daily driver
    01 Galant ES V6 MT (sold)
    00 Eclipse RS MT

Since 2006 when I finally won the battle with Mitsubishi, I've had it in 7 times! After the first time didn't work Mitsubishi contracted my paint job out to a local body shop with lifetime warranty. Every time it's been repainted, its not long before it begins to chip, bubble and fade again. Last time they were supposed to strip it all the way down and it started again 6 months after the paint job. Roof and trunk lid. Strangest thing ever and it's really getting old, two different shops, different paints, and the body shop said that mine wasn't the only one like that and tried to send me back to Mitsubishi saying there was something in the metal causing it. Mitsubishi sent me right back to them and said they have a lifetime warranty contract and they needed to honor it or there would be legal. Crazy.....

On a platform as old as ours, nobody really pursues it anymore.

Also, you have to remember one thing hun, your neck of the woods sees smlome of the strongest sunshine of the U.S

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    On a platform as old as ours, nobody really pursues it anymore.

Also, you have to remember one thing hun, your neck of the woods sees smlome of the strongest sunshine of the U.S
    This is true, and for that I am thankful I went through the long haul of battling Mitsubishi and getting the lifetime paint coverage without any out of pocket cost. At least I'm getting my paint freshened up every so often keeping the car looking new, I do realize that by now my paint would be totally faded anyways without the defective paint issue.
    I just find it odd that no matter what I do garage kept and what not that this is happening. And last time they went to metal and it happened quicker than ever. I was just looking to see if anybody else had repainted their cars and kept having it come back like mine, or if there is some kind of voodoo curse I'm dealing with here. Maybe I should call her the "Black Pearl" Lol. This is less than 6 months after most recent paint job and it was in the body shop most of that 6 months, bizarre for sure. It goes in Monday for its 8th paint job.

Seems to me that the shop doing the work poorly prepped the car for repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Seems to me that the shop doing the work poorly prepped the car for repaint.
    Agreed, but u would think on a lifetime warranty they wouldn't want to keep throwing labor and materials at it. The invoices I have total more than $8,000.00 as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by melwood513 View Post
    Agreed, but u would think on a lifetime warranty they wouldn't want to keep throwing labor and materials at it. The invoices I have total more than $8,000.00 as it is.

It needs to be COMPLETELY stripped inside and out, then acid washed, primered, painted, cleared, and baked. They should do a showcar job on your car for all the hassles.

It needs to be COMPLETELY stripped inside and out, then acid washed, primered, painted, cleared, and baked. They should do a showcar job on your car for all the hassles.
    AGREED! I was thinking about contacting BBB because obviously had they done what they were paid to do the first time, instead of cut corners, I wouldn't be going through this. Every time they have it I lose my car for 1-2 weeks and they refuse to give me a rental because it's written in my warranty that they do not have to provide one. Maybe I'll run that by them 😉.

AGREED! I was thinking about contacting BBB because obviously had they done what they were paid to do the first time, instead of cut corners, I wouldn't be going through this. Every time they have it I lose my car for 1-2 weeks and they refuse to give me a rental because it's written in my warranty that they do not have to provide one. Maybe I'll run that by them ��.

I would contact the AZ Attorney General's office. The BBB is a toothless lion.

I would contact the AZ Attorney General's office. The BBB is a toothless lion.
    I appreciate the input. I will talk to the owner when I drop off the car Monday. I'll let him know that there are others with the same problem that have successfully repainted their cars by stripping them down completely and that I'm not going to tolerate any more return trips because of their reluctance to take the time to do it right. I'll let them know I plan to file a formal complaint. THANK YOU!

Im with dave. This has nothing to do with the metal of the car, once primer hits it the paint is bonding to the primer not the body, its all in the prep work.

Quote Originally Posted by oakrdrs187 View Post
    Im with dave. This has nothing to do with the metal of the car, once primer hits it the paint is bonding to the primer not the body, its all in the prep work.
    AND if it was the metal of the car ALL 99+ Galants, 90+ Eclipses, 03+ Endeavors, Sebrings, Outlander Sports, Avengers, Stratus would have paint defects. But largely it was only Kalapana Black Galants and Eclipses.

Didn't say I was buying their story. Just sharing what they told me, again, I hear the stupidest shit and lame excuses sometimes and I know it's partly because I am female, lol. Even when I go to buy parts, I picked up some fuel injector seals a while back, guy behind the counter says, "let whoever is working on ur car know that all should be done at once, not just the one" and here I am in front of him in my Dickie's with grease all over me even.... So I learned a long time ago to watch what I'm told and cross reference things I don't know. But this I thought sounded extremely stupid. Lol

Didn't say I was buying their story. Just sharing what they told me, again, I hear the stupidest shit and lame excuses sometimes and I know it's partly because I am female, lol. Even when I go to buy parts, I picked up some fuel injector seals a while back, guy behind the counter says, "let whoever is working on ur car know that all should be done at once, not just the one" and here I am in front of him in my Dickie's with grease all over me even.... So I learned a long time ago to watch what I'm told and cross reference things I don't know. But this I thought sounded extremely stupid. Lol

Yeah, I am totally with you on that.

Since they are paying for it anyways, did you consider changing the color and going to a lighter, metallic / pearl color? The factory paint was cheap to begin with, but to be honest during my search for used galants recently I found that at this age they all have either rust (northern cars) or paint fade (southern cars). Black seems to be the most prone to it (soaking up all that heat) but all colors have it, don't see it much on white or silver cars however. I didn't have it for the longest time on my black g, but once it started it went down fast.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    Since they are paying for it anyways, did you consider changing the color and going to a lighter, metallic / pearl color? The factory paint was cheap to begin with, but to be honest during my search for used galants recently I found that at this age they all have either rust (northern cars) or paint fade (southern cars). Black seems to be the most prone to it (soaking up all that heat) but all colors have it, don't see it much on white or silver cars however. I didn't have it for the longest time on my black g, but once it started it went down fast.
    They won't change the color, I think mainly because the only part they didnt have to paint were the bumpers and the side moldings. Mitsubishi wouldn't cover these parts because they were plastic and not prone to the fading. Which ended up being true, never had a problem with my plastics doing it.

They won't change the color, I think mainly because the only part they didnt have to paint were the bumpers and the side moldings. Mitsubishi wouldn't cover these parts because they were plastic and not prone to the fading. Which ended up being true, never had a problem with my plastics doing it.

I thought about your situation, and I wanted to say this:

I would ask the shop what type of paint they are using? What type of clearcoat? What type of basecoat? How do you prep the vehicle for paint? If their answers are unsatisfactory, then get the AG involved.

I thought about your situation, and I wanted to say this:

I would ask the shop what type of paint they are using? What type of clearcoat? What type of basecoat? How do you prep the vehicle for paint? If their answers are unsatisfactory, then get the AG involved.
    I will definitely do that. I know it's an old issue that everyone is over by now, but I'm glad I asked the question.

Thanks for everyone's input. I may not have gotten "show quality paint job" out of it but I did get my entire car redone to include all dents/dings (10+ yrs old so there were a few) completely repainted, the windows tinted and I finally got her back today. Looks like she came off of the show room floor 😍 ... Now I can move forward with my rear suspension issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast