The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil pump problems? 4g64

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Oil pump problems? 4g64

I just recently bought a 2001 3g eclipse with a 4g64 to do a 5 speed swap and swap other parts as well. The previous owners started the engine needs to get replaced or rebuilt. I found a shredded timing belt in the trunk. So first thing I did was pull the cylinder head to check the damage, and it doesn't appear that the pistons hit the valves. I turned the crank over by hand and verified the pistons aren't seized. But, 2 gears ran off of the timing belt will not turn. I believe they are for the oil pump. Is this a common failure? Should I be able to turn them by hand?

http://s292.photobucket.com/user/ama...tml?sort=1&o=0

In the picture, the gears that won't move are the top left and bottom right.

Oil pump problems? 4g64

Bottom right oil pump and balance shaft upper left is balance shaft. Should able to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWD Converted Forward Facing 6466 E85 EVO 8 ECU Powered 2003 Galant

Quote Originally Posted by Galantman03 View Post
    Bottom right oil pump and balance shaft upper left is balance shaft. Should able to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So wait, there are 2 balance shafts?

Quote Originally Posted by tom630 View Post
    Okay cool, thank you! I'm not sure what could cause the balance shaft and the oil pump to both seize. I'll have the pull the oil pump off housing off tomorrow and take a look. Very odd. I can't seem to find anybody else with this issue.

Not to sure, just make sure the oil pump is lined up correctly you can double check by sticking a screwdriver in the plug on the engine block it should go in about 2 1/2 inches if not turn it one full rotation and stick the screwdriver in again, the oil pump could of been installed out of balance maybe? Just throwing possibilities out there

Not to sure, just make sure the oil pump is lined up correctly you can double check by sticking a screwdriver in the plug on the engine block it should go in about 2 1/2 inches if not turn it one full rotation and stick the screwdriver in again, the oil pump could of been installed out of balance maybe? Just throwing possibilities out there
    Fyi, I figured the problem out

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Awesome what was it

Awesome what was it
    I have a thread going about the whole swap, but basically they ran the engine without oil until the balance shafts seized in the block. The front balance shaft is directly geared to the oil pump, so when it seized it also immediately stopped the oil pump which caused the timing belt to snap

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk