The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: transmissions problems

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

transmissions problems

Im need some help with what may be wrong with my transmission. Its a 2001 galant v6 automatic. The car starts fine and moves through all the gears fine you can even feel the car when it seems to go into gear but it doesnt move not forward not reverse nothing. I dont know where to even begin checking to see whats wrong bc it only has 79,000 miles. Ive been told it can be the trani pump but any thoughts and suggestions would b helpful, thanks.

Have you checked fluids?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Yes fluids are good no burning smell

Potential problem could be that the wave spring inside has broken/failed as you are unable to move at all.

Any codes? Could be a couple different things, but the wave spring issue is a well known one on these cars. Don't ask me how I know it...

is it easily excesable and/or fixable?

If you've owned a 8g galant for any significant amount of time you should know the wave spring is sandwiched in the middle of gear packs inside the transmission and unless you know how to rebuild transmission I wouldn't recommend trying to replace it yourself.
    Either way transmission is going to have to be removed, ask me how I know... ill just tell you.
    Currently me and my dad are swapping the transmission for the 3rd time on our 01 galant, if you're a good garage mechanic and have a friend who can help you guide it in and out it's actually not that hard even in the 6 cylinder just make sure you have the proper tools.

I've owned my car for almosr 10 years now. Actually, my ex-wife actually wrecked my original 8G so in time i found a shell to transfer all of my stuff over to. After i got the motor and trabs buttoned up, put it in gear and it was lurching.
    I realize that tranny fluid was low after pulling the axles; no problem. Shot out to the parts store topped it off. Jumped back in out and now for some reason , it seems off. It seems to recognize every gear as reverse. I can only find neutral with the car off. Any pointers? ( sorry O.P.)

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk