The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Electrical Grimlins.

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Electrical Grimlins.

Forget about that last thread, this is more serious than whatever the noise was, it went away.

Several electrical systems died in the last few days and I've got no idea what is killing everything.

nothing works when the car doesnt have the key in it, which is to be expected, but the power locks always have worked since we bought the car in 2000 even when the car has sat for a few days not being started.

the radio head unit stopped turning on some time between this morning and now, not sure.

radiator fan stopped working, I tried straight wiring it to the battery and it was fine, so its probably the little controller box on the back of the fan assembly. (the relay does work, checked that too.)

the map lights haven't worked in months, I tried adding a third light in the back row with a little LED, that killed the lights, radiator fan, and the AC, but I fixed all that. thank god for fuses, but the map lights havent worked, I've replaced the bulbs twice, and tried using LED bulbs for that too, nothing worked.

but most severely is the headlights. the Relay some how died on my HID kit. I have power going to it, and no power coming from it, and it doesnt do anything if I flick the lights on. its been flawless for months, no issues other than adding some resistors to make them actually work reliably after the first few days.

I dont know electrical anything, hence the LED that killed everything with the map lights, but what can I do to start fixing all this stuff without spending a grand on this car. I love it but I can buy a new 8g from craigslist for 500-1200 if it would be that much.

Hello Sir Vyvore,
    I bought my Galant V6 new and after about 3 years my map light failed. It was a fatal failure. It shut the car off. Would not start or turn over. Towed it to the dealer and after 2 hours they determined that the map light has shorted internally. Why Mitsubishi in their infinite wisdom would have run any controlling voltage through a map light is beyond all logic. New map light installed and no more issue. Swap that part out first to see if there is any change symptomatically. If that does not change the situation, check to make sure the multi pin connectors under the dash are seated properly and the connector clamp is properly engaged. They are the 60 pin (est) connectors left of the steering wheel at the left kick panel. Most everything runs through those connectors.

Did you fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Vyvore View Post
    Forget about that last thread, this is more serious than whatever the noise was, it went away.

Several electrical systems died in the last few days and I've got no idea what is killing everything.

nothing works when the car doesnt have the key in it, which is to be expected, but the power locks always have worked since we bought the car in 2000 even when the car has sat for a few days not being started.

the radio head unit stopped turning on some time between this morning and now, not sure.

radiator fan stopped working, I tried straight wiring it to the battery and it was fine, so its probably the little controller box on the back of the fan assembly. (the relay does work, checked that too.)

the map lights haven't worked in months, I tried adding a third light in the back row with a little LED, that killed the lights, radiator fan, and the AC, but I fixed all that. thank god for fuses, but the map lights havent worked, I've replaced the bulbs twice, and tried using LED bulbs for that too, nothing worked.

but most severely is the headlights. the Relay some how died on my HID kit. I have power going to it, and no power coming from it, and it doesnt do anything if I flick the lights on. its been flawless for months, no issues other than adding some resistors to make them actually work reliably after the first few days.

I dont know electrical anything, hence the LED that killed everything with the map lights, but what can I do to start fixing all this stuff without spending a grand on this car. I love it but I can buy a new 8g from craigslist for 500-1200 if it would be that much.
    Did you find the bug in the system?

nope. I wired my radiator fan to my battery and a switch under my dash, and I still have no radio.

I relocated my grounds for the headlights and moved my positive contact down the battery terminal and it seems to work fine now.

gonna lower the car on friday hopefully.