The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Creaking metal-like sound when turning...

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Creaking metal-like sound when turning...

Hi all! I've been somewhat of a lurker here on TGC for a while now and I've been able to find out everything I've needed/wanted to know about my 8G. For this problem though, I don't know where I should look.

To what I remember, there's this sound that resembles creaking or unlubricated metal that only occurs when I'm turning left. It happens occasionally, not too often. More often than not, I'll hear it once on my first/second turn of a trip. I thiiiiink that the sound is more to the front right of the car. Thinking CV boot? Maybe axle? Rack?

I'm about to graduate from high school, so I'm starting to put more focus towards doing maintenance/mods to my 8G. I've already swapped out the engine mounts (improvement, but still has vibration; hoping to pick up an OEM replacement sometime in the future).

Video (turn up the volume): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob4U0nkmGeo

Also if anyone has a driver side front fender in bodega beige that they want to let go of then lmk heh. I've had this dent ever since I got the car and I don't want to look at it anymore!! Socal southbay area.

Last edited by TD86_; 06-01-2016 at 11:44 AM

02' Galant ES 2.4L

with the fender i might have a temporary fix

last year [or the year before] someone hit me in a parking lot [and of course, drove off w/o leaving a note], leaving a huge crater in my front bumper. going online, i read if you get some hot water [not boiling, but close] and pour it slowly on the dent, you should be able to pop the dent back into it's normal form. after back in the original form, come back over the dent w/ some cold water.

idk how much it actually works, but if you wouldve seen the dent on my bumper before and after, it's worth a try lol. other the paint messed up a tad due to the dent, it's back to normal :)

- - - Updated - - -

if you don't wanna go through all that [or if it doesnt work], there are usually a good amount of beige galants at junkyards.
    Quote Originally Posted by [DC_eightG_00] View Post
    i dont know what face is better: the face you put when you say you drive a galant or the face when they see it is a galant lol
    CHRIS
    2000 Galant ES
    260thousand miles

FACEBOOK || TWITTER || INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Celph Concepts View Post
    with the fender i might have a temporary fix

if you don't wanna go through all that [or if it doesnt work], there are usually a good amount of beige galants at junkyards.
    I don't think that that technique is going to work to well on the fender; a bumper cover is usually a plastic material whilst the fenders are made out of metal. Metal dissipates heat well and has different properties than plastic... would require a lot more heat to get my dent to pop out I'd think.

I have tried that on a similar incident that has happened witb my family's Camry, though! I tried the boiling water thing but at the time it was a really windy day (was doing it in my driveway) so I think the water cooled fast and didn't have much effect. Instead of the boiling water, I had a lighter behind the bumper cover to heat up the area. The dent popped right out!

I tried using a mallet on my fender but without heating it up; didn't do much. I'll probably try using a blowtorch and see what happens haha. As for junkyards, all my local jy has is white and silver 8G's :c Patience I guess lol

*Updated First Post*

02' Galant ES 2.4L

I inspected the tie rod ends on both sides.

- The passenger side tie rods don't have any play.
    - On the driver side, the nut linking the inner and outer tie rod was a bit loose, causing the inner tie rod to have a minuscule amount of play. Tightening it locks it in place, but it seems to still be able to get loose? Tightening the nut further makes the inner and outer tie rods move, not sure if thats right..
    - Both sides' outer tie rod grease boots are shot. Could this be the culprit of the sound? The sound does not happen all the time.

Thinking maybe ball joint as well, but I have yet to inspect that.

02' Galant ES 2.4L

Experienced TGC Member
    You may want to check your sway bar end links as well. If your going to change your outer tie rods and its in your budget you might as well replace the lower ball joints, end links if they have not been replaced yet. Check your hub bearings as well.