The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: engine swap questions

Showing results 1 to 3 of 3

engine swap questions

Hey guys,i want to do an engine swap soon as mine has too many problems. I have a 2.4l 03 g. I know absolutely nothing about engines. What kind of engine should i get?how much would it cost? Is it hard to figure out over a weekend if i had help or should i just pay someone to do it? Do i just buy the engine and its ready to install or is there other things i need to buy? HELP. i dont even know where to start and its overwhelming to even think about 😬
    "Sometimes we win, sometimes we learn."

Trougtyr,

If you are figuring a weekend worth of work, and want a reliable car, you're going to want to go with a professionally rebuilt 2.4, but don't grab an ebay engine with 100k+ miles or something like that or you'll have what you started with. If you don't know what is involved, I would highly recommend talking to a local shop before you buy or do anything.

While its easy to say that it could easily be done in a weekend (it can be done in an afternoon), it is tough from my position to know how it might play out for you. I don't want to recommend cutting your teeth on this if you're inexperienced with replacing mitsu engines and cause you to be in a tough spot.

If I were you, I would have a shop order a rebuilt engine of the same type and have it installed by them as well. If you are having to ask what is involved in this case, you may be better off.

I'm not sure why you would want to go atomic on your setup just yet, it may be as simple as some sensors that need changing. You didn't really specify, so I just gave you my advice. I hope I helped :)

Quote Originally Posted by TheEternalConflict View Post
    Trougtyr,

If you are figuring a weekend worth of work, and want a reliable car, you're going to want to go with a professionally rebuilt 2.4, but don't grab an ebay engine with 100k+ miles or something like that or you'll have what you started with. If you don't know what is involved, I would highly recommend talking to a local shop before you buy or do anything.

While its easy to say that it could easily be done in a weekend (it can be done in an afternoon), it is tough from my position to know how it might play out for you. I don't want to recommend cutting your teeth on this if you're inexperienced with replacing mitsu engines and cause you to be in a tough spot.

If I were you, I would have a shop order a rebuilt engine of the same type and have it installed by them as well. If you are having to ask what is involved in this case, you may be better off.

I'm not sure why you would want to go atomic on your setup just yet, it may be as simple as some sensors that need changing. You didn't really specify, so I just gave you my advice. I hope I helped :)
    ^^^couldn't have said it better myself. It all depends on if you want to stay with a 4g64 or something different. Something different will require a ton of work that honestly you probably couldn't handle. Just swapping out a 4g64 for another one? Well then having a shop do it plus the cost of a rebuilt engine is more than the car is worth. Labor to replace that engine has to be at least 6 hours times probably $150/hour shop rate. There's $900 plus the engine. I got my engine from a wrecked galant for $500. But then I still resealed everything and replaced the timing belt, plugs, and wires. A rebuild that's ready to be dropped in must be at least $1000. So now you're in almost $2000 already... your choice, but I'd be looking at something else. But as it was stated before, maybe your engine can be saved. If you haven't thrown a rod, damaged cylinder walls, or warped the shit out of it then it most likely can be saved.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk