The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how hard is it to install a lip?

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

how hard is it to install a lip?

So i was looking at lips because its another inexpensive mod i can do to my G. But i was wondering how hard it was to install. Are there any tutorials? And are there specific lips i have to use? Thank you
    "Sometimes we win, sometimes we learn."

I installed one on my Accord that required quite a bit of finagling, trimming, and a little bit of elongation on one side. It depends on how high of quality one you buy, I got one off eBay and while it does the job and looks good its fitment was terrible even though it was "made" for my car. I used rivets in places that are hidden and double sided tape to secure it to the car. It isn't that hard of a process to install, but it sure is easy to mess it up.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES (SCRAPPED)
    1991 Jeep Comanche (SOLD)
    2002 Honda Accord EX (DAILY)
    1998 Eclipse GST (PROJECT)

Well shit that makes me doubt if i should try it lol

It's definitely doable, just gotta be patient and have the right mind set of I can instead of I cant. It took me 3 hours to get it to fit well enough that I was happy, then an hour of sanding and a LONG time for primer, then sand, then paint and clear. It was a whole day event for me, especially since it was my first time ever doing that.

Are most lips compatible with 8gs? Or should i be looking for specific ones?

Like i saw a few guys here with accord lips that look pretty good. Is it still basically the same procedure of using tape to get it where you want it then drilling it into place? (plus painting if you wanted)? Or is there more to it if you choose to use a lip made for another car?

If you get one made for another car (which I guarantee you will have to) there will be a lot more custom fab work.

Alright, mind if i pm you if i jave questions when i get my lip?lol

Hey guys I clicked a search button and found a good link for your subject. Search button still works as before so try it out noobs :)
    https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?13956-8G-Comparable-Front-Lip

Last edited by G-spot; 09-24-2016 at 01:23 AM

Thanks g lolol

When I did mine I found the most important thing is to find the center, span some rope across the leading edge of both bumper and lip to be installed and cut it or mark it. Stretch it out on the floor measure it and divide by 2 and you have your center. Transfer that measurement the bumper and lip, line up the marks and start mounting from there, center. As you start bolting the lip on youll find the curvature is different as you work your way from the center it wont wrap around so get heat gun and slowly start adding heat so you can shape the lip to the new curvature. Once you get to the end cut off the excess or if your to short then oh well, you should've measure the distance of the two before you started work.

I wouldn't take the bumper cover off to do all this because the cover because less stiff and starts to assume a different shape, then once you start fitting the lip to the bumper the lip will distort the bumper cover even more and will be difficult to refit over the crash beam. I found out the hard way just keep it on the car while fitting so it doesn't lose it shape.

Ill definitely take your advice! Ill post pics when i install one