The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Starts Then Dies

Showing results 1 to 2 of 2

Starts Then Dies

I have a 1999 Galant 2.4 . A little back story, got it as a free car for my teenager . Fixed leaking vc gasket , plug tube seals, new plugs , coils & wires. Car has run great for about a year . 2 nights ago she stopped for food came out and now it won't run for more than 2 or 3 seconds . Scanned it , came up with P0340 so I replaced the cam position sensor and battery while I was at it . No change and code P0340 persists . Car starts up fine , runs for a few seconds and dies . No sputter or anything , just ....dead. Tach works as it should while the car is running. Cps plug looks fine and I've visually checked for broken wires and the like . I'm stumped . Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Use a multimeter and test the new cps (old cps also if you still have it) and actually test the cps circuit wires behind (figure of speech) where they plug into the cps connecter and verify that they are indeed good.
    If nothing appears wrong then the only thing i can think of next would be to make sure that the relucter ring/disk is still lined up with the crankshaft timing belt sprocket.
    The roll pins that keep the two peices spinning together are notorious for shearing or breaking off.
    When i did the timing belt water pump etc for the first time on my 3.0l 2001 i noticed that the relucter ring and crank sprocket werent lining up with the two roll pin holls. Then i discovered that it looked like at some point the sprocket and relucter ring became seperated and the roll pins got crushed back into the relucter ring about 6 degrees away from the holes, weird think was that it never seemed to have caused a problem with it running with no problems after i corrected it either.
    My research found there was many problems during manufacturing with misalignment diffrent types of relucter rings etc.