The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Drifting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24
    Experienced TGC Member

Drifting

This shit is fun as hell. I just started a few days ago after reading about it in Import Tuner. This is going to be a stupid question but how bad exactly is taking a 90 degree Left Turn @ 50 ~ 60 MPH. I mean at what speeds am I in danger of snapping the axle?

umm if your trying to drift in a front wheel drive car (like the galant) you are going to have a very hard time.

drifting requires a RWD or AWD car. i could explain in more depth but drifting is losing traction of your rear wheels or all wheels through liberal use of power to break them free laterally to cause oversteer. you could kinda do this by pulling the ebrake but that would not be a powerslide like the drifting cars do. a powerslide w/ front wheels turned AGAINST the direction of the turn is drifting. it's pretty hard to turn the nose of a FWD car by hitting the gas and having the tail pivot around the nose because once the front wheels do break traction, the car straigtens out (understeer).

TWISTED II
    the only time i would do stuff like that is in a chase. i dunno about anywhere else, but in my town, there are a lot of "import" haters. so people will drive by and yell something, so a bunch of guys will chase them. i've only done that kinda stuff if they take a sharp turn or something, i'll hank my e-brake at like 40 and just do a 180 in the middle of the road and get em, lol. i guess you could drift in fwd, but you would hafta use your e-brake, while your going around the corner, give it a slight jerk, and your rear will kick out, but stay on the gas, keep the front wheels spinning. i would practice this in a parking lot first, lol. takes some time, and you might brake something, but its fun, lol. (my e-brake doesn't work on one side, and i had metal bands showing through my tires in a few spots) haha

PUNISHER
    yup to PROPERLY drift you need a rear wheel drive but you can still drift in a front wheel drive it is just no the same though.

TWISTED II
    yeah, its more of a slide than a drift.

escoson
    if u live around my area or not to far and u want to learn how to drift from someone pm me and we can talk. as for needing a awd or rwd car to "properly" drift that it total b.s. i can and have outdrifted many awd and rwd cars.

PUNISHER
    i really do not want this to get out of hand and in to an arguement.but you cannot drift in a front wheel drive vehicle" properly." yeah you can pull the e-brake up and get fwd to pop it's tail out in a turn , but that is not REAL drifting. REAL drifting goes something like this- upon entry into a turn, the cars weight is transfered from the back to the front, either by a hard downshift or a tap on the brakes. this causes the car to dive and the rear to be un weighted. As the car turns , the rear wheels slip out of the direction of travel. once the rear wheels break traction, throttle is applied to continue the slippage as the driver counter steers.resulting in the car "drifting" throughout the turn.

that comes from the editor of Import Racer Mag. take it up with him if you still think you can properly drift in a fwd car by locking up your rear wheels with the e-brake.

escoson
    i agree with you to an extent but whoever said anything about me locking up my rear wheels? im sure alot of people do this in fwd and think it is drifting butthere is a difference between e-brake slides and drifting. to kick the back end out on my car the e-brake is applied for about .25 of a second and then released so there is no lock up while drifting in the technique i use. you really shouldnt knock something until you are experienced with it or have made an atempt yourself.

jreezee
    i agree, dont knock it unless youve tried it. just my 2cnts

8ggalant
    hahahahahaha....i used to drift in my 7g...nuthin like my silvia tho...damn i miss japan

PUNISHER
    Quote Originally Posted by evil gtz
    i really do not want this to get out of hand and in to an arguement.but you cannot drift in a front wheel drive vehicle" properly." yeah you can pull the e-brake up and get fwd to pop it's tail out in a turn , but that is not REAL drifting. REAL drifting goes something like this- upon entry into a turn, the cars weight is transfered from the back to the front, either by a hard downshift or a tap on the brakes. this causes the car to dive and the rear to be un weighted. As the car turns , the rear wheels slip out of the direction of travel. once the rear wheels break traction, throttle is applied to continue the slippage as the driver counter steers.resulting in the car "drifting" throughout the turn.

that comes from the editor of Import Racer Mag. take it up with him if you still think you can properly drift in a fwd car by locking up your rear wheels with the e-brake.
    Proper Drifting/
    what you said NO MATTER WHAT is still not PROPER drifting. the bottom line is the back wheel have to spin when you are in the drift you cannot spin the rear wheels in a front wheel drive car. please the key word is PROPER yes you achieve a drifting "like" state but it is not "drifting".

TWISTED II
    Quote Originally Posted by EVIL GTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by evil gtz

Proper Drifting/
    what you said NO MATTER WHAT is still not PROPER drifting. the bottom line is the back wheel have to spin when you are in the drift you cannot spin the rear wheels in a front wheel drive car. please the key word is PROPER yes you achieve a drifting "like" state but it is not "drifting".
    exactly. i agree 100% it may be sliding sideways, but a PROPER drift cannot be done by a fwd car. DL drifting videos, you can see cars drifting for a long time, like, down the entire side of a race track. you can slide your back end out, but theres no way to maintain speed and stuff like a true drift. e-brake slides are cool and all, but i wouldn't call it drifting.

Quote Originally Posted by escoson
    if u live around my area or not to far and u want to learn how to drift from someone pm me and we can talk. as for needing a awd or rwd car to "properly" drift that it total b.s. i can and have outdrifted many awd and rwd cars.
    drifting is a maintained, controlled, oversteer powerslide. yes you can slide the tail out on a FWD drive car but you cannot maintain it by hitting the gas and turning the front wheels in the OPPOSITE direction of the slide; in fact in a FWD car this would cause you to recover from the slide. even if you floor the pedal w/ the front wheels turned INTO the direction of the turn, once they lose traction, the car will straighten out and the rear wheels will gain traction again.

Quote Originally Posted by jreezee
    i agree, dont knock it unless youve tried it. just my 2cnts
    by the way nobody is knocking getting the car loose in the tail... hell i've done that for fun all the time (i have had almost 8 full sets of 225/40zr18 on my galant in less than 4 years), but i also know that this is not true drifting. btw, my '99 ES V6 does not have traction control so believe that i can break front wheel traction at will.

TWISTED II
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    btw, my '99 ES V6 does not have traction control so believe that i can break front wheel traction at will.
    yeah, i pulled the fuse for my traction control, however, for some odd reason mitsu decided to make that the same fuse as the sun roof. ?? so i hooked it up to a switch.

Senior TGC Member
    Yep FWD is not the "real" drifting, but you're right it's still sometimes considered drifting. Just take a look at the import magazines...they teach you to "drift" in a Civic, and label it as such. To really drift...you need a powerful RWD
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

:twisted: This how you drift in a front wheel drive car get 2 mcdonalds tray put it in your back wheels pull the E brake and drift as much as you want untill the tray is all shaved off.

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 95vegasgalant
    :twisted: This how you drift in a front wheel drive car get 2 mcdonalds tray put it in your back wheels pull the E brake and drift as much as you want untill the tray is all shaved off.
    lol time to get myself a whole bunch of trays....
    Your signature is too long.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95vegasgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>:twisted: This how you drift in a front wheel drive car get 2 mcdonalds tray put it in your back wheels pull the E brake and drift as much as you want untill the tray is all shaved off.</div>

I heard of people doing this around where I live. Thanks for the great info. Good thing you guys correcte me, before I tried use this knowledge (or lack of) in a conversation or something.

But still a "slide". is pretty damn fun (even funner when it's raining )
    Though coming out of it is a bitch sometimes, because you loose a little control. I usually hold the E brake up for atleast a second.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet BLaK)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(95vegasgalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>:twisted: This how you drift in a front wheel drive car get 2 mcdonalds tray put it in your back wheels pull the E brake and drift as much as you want untill the tray is all shaved off.</div>

I heard of people doing this around where I live. Thanks for the great info. Good thing you guys correcte me, before I tried use this knowledge (or lack of) in a conversation or something.

But still a "slide". is pretty damn fun (even funner when it's raining )
    Though coming out of it is a bitch sometimes, because you loose a little control. I usually hold the E brake up for atleast a second.</div>

We actually had the video here of two kids with the Mcdonald's trays. It was funny as shit to watch. But yea you guys are right. You're having fun, but you're not drifting. Of course, if you have a HUGE empty parking lot, you can damn near drift if you start out going in reverse at about 25-30MPH. It's almost the same concept as a RWD car. C'mon Twisted, don't tell me you never did that one... :laughing:
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

TWISTED II
    hahaha, i used to do that in my old buick. mainly in snow. that thing was so damn heavy, you get goin about 20 mph and crank the wheel and you do some mad spinning, lol. i don't think i've ever done reverse slides in my galant though. only 180's and stuff. did it once and i misjudged the wettnes of the road and did like a 180 and a lil more and hit a curb. not fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast