The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to: Break-In a New Engine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 38 of 38
    It's amazing to see to way different approaches to the same problem, and both being from people who know what are talking about....
    And still, both work fine! aparently. :shock:

Like in all fields, there are proponents and oponents, for any given theory at the same time.

So, any other ideas? Maybe just flip a coin, huh... just kidding.

sethmo
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TWISTED!)</div><div class='quotemain'>stfu n00b. Â*i'm sure each tuner has his own way of doing things. Â*you obviously don't know who your talking to. Â*i had my 6G72 torn down as basic as possible. Â*down to a bare block....and i rebuilt that motor from the ground up, bolt by bolt. Â*i'd spend 10-12 hours a day in a shop building my motor. Â*i built my motor, i installed my motor, and guess what son...my motor is stong and runs great. Â*so YOU need to step off. Â*neither way has ever been proven to be better, so its all preaching opinion. Â*as long as you are 100% confident that motor is perfect, it doesn't matter.</div>

Do you have any logical reasoning in your theory? Sure you say you know your stuff, you rebuilt your engine which is running fine, but why take it easy? Like scootin said, the break-in takes place within the first 50miles...

Senior TGC Member
    I break in my motor the manufacturer recommended way. If they say run the hell out of it, I'll do just that. If they say don't go above 2k RPM and stay below 20 mph then I do so. If they say I have to do the hokey-pokey and run naked through a police station...I'd reconsider. But I'll tell you how not to break in an engine though...my friend bought a new supercharged Cobra and basically redlined it the entire time. I think he said something about his rings not sealing and voiding his factory warranty, so he has to pay for repairs out of pocket.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TWISTED!)</div><div class='quotemain'>stfu n00b. Â*i'm sure each tuner has his own way of doing things. Â*you obviously don't know who your talking to. Â*i had my 6G72 torn down as basic as possible. Â*down to a bare block....and i rebuilt that motor from the ground up, bolt by bolt. Â*i'd spend 10-12 hours a day in a shop building my motor. Â*i built my motor, i installed my motor, and guess what son...my motor is stong and runs great. Â*so YOU need to step off. Â*neither way has ever been proven to be better, so its all preaching opinion. Â*as long as you are 100% confident that motor is perfect, it doesn't matter.</div>
    1st of all i was playing around, jackass, 2. you need to not be so dramatic. and 3. Drew does know what he is talking about, im sure you know what your talking about and i wasnt saying you didnt, so BACK OFF!!!
    2002 Silver Galant

"If a man yells in the Woods, But there is no women around to hear him, Is he still wrong?"

A question that has plauged man for ages.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Auto-9)</div><div class='quotemain'>I break in my motor the manufacturer recommended way. If they say run the hell out of it, I'll do just that. If they say don't go above 2k RPM and stay below 20 mph then I do so. If they say I have to do the hokey-pokey and run naked through a police station...I'd reconsider. But I'll tell you how not to break in an engine though...my friend bought a new supercharged Cobra and basically redlined it the entire time. I think he said something about his rings not sealing and voiding his factory warranty, so he has to pay for repairs out of pocket.</div>
    A manufacturer would find it pretty difficult to tell their buyers to run the piss out of the car, because god knows what kind of lawsuits that could result in. Sure, the old way works, the new way just works better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TWISTED!)</div><div class='quotemain'>stfu n00b. Â*i'm sure each tuner has his own way of doing things. Â*you obviously don't know who your talking to. Â*i had my 6G72 torn down as basic as possible. Â*down to a bare block....and i rebuilt that motor from the ground up, bolt by bolt. Â*i'd spend 10-12 hours a day in a shop building my motor. Â*i built my motor, i installed my motor, and guess what son...my motor is stong and runs great. Â*</div>
    As did I. Minus the whole 6g72, plus a B18b1...My block was bare. Completely. Every oil passage was open and cleaned, every bearing removed and checked...and my motor runs strong and great, too

Hit me up on AIM, mang

TWISTED II
    my theory behind my way isn't 100% for making a good seal. it has partially to do with how the motor was built. if you forget something, or something just isn't right with the motor, and you leave and start flyin around, the damage is gonna be a lot worse than takin it easy. i think this thread should be limited to people, giving information from personal experience and personal knowledge. not people going to google.com and typing "how to break in a motor" then pasting it here thinking they know their shit. i've been around many many cars with full rebuilds that took it easy for a lil while and are running at 500+ hp right now. like i said, its all personal preference, neither way has ever been proved "right or wrong." i just don't see any benefit to beating the piss out of a brand new motor, over driving it normal. my way worked great, and i'm stickin to it. obviously other peoples ways worked too, and they are sticking to them. i personally don't care how ya break in your motor, just giving my opinion on how i would do it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TWISTED!)</div><div class='quotemain'>my theory behind my way isn't 100% for making a good seal. Â*it has partially to do with how the motor was built. Â*if you forget something, or something just isn't right with the motor, and you leave and start flyin around, the damage is gonna be a lot worse than takin it easy.</div> Well I guess I brought my idea to the table assuming that there was an understanding that you put the motor together properly. Either way, if you're at 2k rpms or 7k rpms, and you throw a rod or a rod bolt, you're still going to put it straight through your block or oil pan. Just put everything together right, and this own't be an issue!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i think this thread should be limited to people, giving information from personal experience and personal knowledge. Â*not people going to google.com and typing "how to break in a motor" Â*then pasting it here thinking they know their shit. Â*</div>
    Best Idea yet.

EDIT: sticky?

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scootinintegra)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>i think this thread should be limited to people, giving information from personal experience and personal knowledge. Â*not people going to google.com and typing "how to break in a motor" Â*then pasting it here thinking they know their shit. Â*</div>
    Best Idea yet.</div>

Whoa Whoa...for your information, I went to Yahoo!
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

I agree, that is what this site should be about, people like me (beginners ) asking questions and people like you guys (experts 8) ), generously providing information from your personal knowledge/experience.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>I agree, that is what this site should be about, people like me (beginners Â* ) asking questions and people like you guys (experts Â*8) ), generously providing information from your personal knowledge/experience. </div>
    suck up

jk, lol

And I've never owned a galant...ever...

Okay then scootin,
    you tell me why was TGC created for.....I'm listening

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galantebeige)</div><div class='quotemain'>Okay then scootin,
    you tell me why was TGC created for.....I'm listening Â*:D</div>
    i'm just messin with you man you got my PM, right?

It's all cool, scootin.... 8) . I bet there is stuff you know nothing about too...
    I made this thread "sticky", and I added a poll, it will be interesting to see the results (hopefully with enough respondents)

Galant_01
    Someone needs to distinguish if we are talking about breaking in a brand new car or a rebuild engine because they are 2 different methods.

And by the way I did not pull it off Google, I got it off my owners manual!

rainfever
    Quote Originally Posted by sethmo
    There are very many "theories" on how to do this. But I am going to follow this guys when I break in my engine

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    I remember someone bringing this site up over at www.rs25.com, i just remember them saying the dude was breaking in Bullet bikes (street bikes) and that is a totally different ball game.

I would never follow that advice, but hell, its your car, do what you want with it. However i would like you to keep us posted, if it destroys your motor, dont be shy about it, tell us...

TWISTED II
    5,000 miles on my motor now, still runs great. not my car anymore, but thats what they tell me, lol.

sethmo
    I found that site on DSMTUners.com where they were discussing how to break in freshly rebuilt motors. A lot of members there follow that "theory" and their motors still run strong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12