The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil Viscosity during summer?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    TPoise

Oil Viscosity during summer?

Do you guys switch to a heavier oil during summer?

I know 5W-30 is recommended, but I have 10W-30 in there right now. I'm wanting to switch back down to the 5W to get a little extra on the MPG. What do you guys think? Will I run into any problems in this heat since I live in Alabama?

well as for oil viscosity i would recommend using 10w30 in the summer but if u use 5w30 it won't hurt anything as long as u oil change and use the same viscosity don't mix it. I use 10w30 royal purple or ams oil in the summer and winter 5w30.

BlankMan
    Unless average temps in you area go above I think it's 105-110, there's no benefit to changing the oil specs. By the way the 5W and 10W refer to the *weight*, not visconsity. Think of a heavier weight oil being denser - but it does not necessarily lubricate better.

J

TPoise
    I've been only 3000 miles since the last change. I will try to wait a week or two to let things cool down a little bit here and then change to the 5W-30.

I would like to keep this thread alive to get an idea what others think

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlankMan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Unless average temps in you area go above I think it's 105-110, there's no benefit to changing the oil specs. Â*By the way the 5W and 10W refer to the *weight*, not visconsity. Â*Think of a heavier weight oil being denser - but it does not necessarily lubricate better.

J</div>

That would be Vegas for ya! It was 109 yesterday :?

TPoise
    BTW, wouldn't outside temps be irrelevant? Engine bay is well over 110f during any season. Why should outside temps matter...?

5w30 is all you need.