The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: coolant change

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

coolant change

Hello all,

-Basically took the drain plug off and let the coolant out.
    -drain plug on
    -fill radiator with premixed coolant (valvoline) until top
    -left cap open
    -turn engine on
    -bring to operating temp
    -constant top up of coolant until no more air lock bubbles appear.

question:
    am i missing some steps here?
    the mitsu magnas here in oz have an airlock release also a drain of coolants from the engine?? read this in the magna workshop manual.
    Does anybody know where this 2nd drain plug near the engine is?

much appreciated : )

-Andrew-

brandon
    Sounds about right to me... but I would have flushed it out with some water after draining it until the water came out clean.

Experienced TGC Member
    The coolant you drain out is only from the radiator, there is still a lot left in the block and heater core. I cant find any plug on the block to drain coolant from it, I heard there was, I think its a myth lol.

Wont flushing the rest out with water then leave water in the block and heater core..I know water isnt a huge problem, but it will dilute already premixed coolant down even more.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    I flushed a lot of the coolant out of the block when I had to route the coolant to the turbo.... what a mess.

As for the water, it wouldn't really get sucked into the block if the car isn't running, no?

Experienced TGC Member
    The whole point of flushing is to get the extra coolant thats still in the block out and any deposits with it. Changing the fluid in your radiator still leaves a good liter or so in the block and heater core. If you flush the system you get all the bad fluid out and are left with just water which is better then contaminated fluid. I know some people who flush with new coolant, but seems like a waste of money to me.

I dotn care about the coolant in the block either lol I just drain the radiator and refill and hop thats enough to dilute any bad fluid that still left in the system. And when the radiator explodes from a clogged section..it gives me a reason to get a fluidyne!
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    And when the radiator explodes from a clogged section..it gives me a reason to get a fluidyne!
    So will the 2G fit?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I have wondered about that too...but would hate to shell out $300+ for a Fluidyne and find out it doesn't fit. In a couple of weeks I am going to compare the 7g radiator and a 2g radiator...unless someone has faster access than I do.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    All I know about the 2g stock radiator is that the top pipe is more in the center of the radiator and there is no radiator cap on it because the cap is on the water neck on the head. Since I am DOHC I dont have to worry about how to fill it cause I have 2 radiator caps lol. I would think you guys would have to use a 1g/2g water neck to replace yours so there is a cap on it to fill. I dont know if they are direct fit into a galant, but whatever can always fashion somethin up. Its just a radiator not rocket science to figure out how to keep it in place.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandon
    Very true... just didn't know if it was too big to slide in there.

GtrickinN12
    i gotta change my rad fluid too. ive done it once awhile back(not bad). can someone tell me where the plug is again? this time im gonna stick a garden hose in the thing before the cleaner. I gotta check the radiator thermostat also and make sure it isnt burned.
    thats a good thing to always check. i had that thing get toated on me once, and my belt snapped, hoses went loose, and it was my cars ass for a minute. it cost a nice looking dollar to fix too.

brandon
    Plug is at the bottom right hand corner (when facing the front of the car).

Russian7G
    I've flushed my cooling system about a month ago.. after changing the water pump. I've used Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner.. that stuff dissolves all the rust and the other crap that can be in a system... costed me about 5 bux in walmart, has all the instructions on the back.. i used distilled water to flush it... just don't trust the water from the hose when it comes to my engine I like to have some fresh antifreeze in my system before the winter starts

Experienced TGC Member
    i trust the water from my hose.. and the oil thats on sale. im hoping it craps out on me so I have a reason to build a new one
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon