The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Annoying brake light problem

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    ChuckaroO

Annoying brake light problem

Okay, i go and try to start my car in the morning..it doesn't even click.. the battery is completely dead.. why? because my stupid brake is so.....sensitive/loose/whatever... the brake light will stay on overnight.. .. but anyways a guy at work told me theres a switch or something that turns on the brake lights when you press the pedal down so far.. how would i go about adjusting it? because this shit is killing my battery.. and DRIVING ME CRAZY.. i've missed days of work because i'm running late and i can't get a jump.. sometimes i have to get a jump just to go home after work! ... HEEEELLPPP..

Experienced TGC Member
    On top of the brake pedle there is a a swith, with a connector going to it. You can adjust the switch by screwing it further down so it makes better contact with the pedle arm. Its suposed to be set so that the switch is pushed in right on the edge of turning off the lights, so that any tiny movement of the pedle will have the lights come on.

I would guess your switch isnt making good contact, so get under there and screw it further in.

Hope that helps.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

I had the same problem last week.

There is a small, blue, plastic insert on the brake pedal arm that contacts the brake switch. (Same as on the clutch pedal arm for the clutch swith) If that small, blue plastic insert falls out or breaks apart then the switch button does not come into contact with anything. I figured this out when I found several pieces of that plastic piece on the floor mat. It's a dealer part I believe, two places I checked didn't have it.

Hope this helps.

Experienced TGC Member
    In either case, would be better not to replace the plastic part so it doesnt happen again and just readjust the brake switch.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

One of my bosses at a previous job had the same problem with his Integra. The piece is a pedal switch stop (note, this is what Honda calls it, Mitsu may have a diffrent name for it) It's like $2 from the dealer....chances are they won't have one in stock, and it's a PITA to install. I ended up having to lie upside down in the fully-reclined driver's seat while he depressed the pedal with a broom stick so I could slip the stop into place. Someone smaller than I am (I'm 6'4" 240 lbs) might not have so much of a problem gaining access to the foot well, but I wouldn't do it again unless it was broken on my own car.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>In either case, would be better not to replace the plastic part so it doesnt happen again and just readjust the brake switch.</div>

Yes, that would be better, if it were possible. With out that plastic insert the switch goes through the hole in the brake pedal arm (where that plastic insert usually locks into) and does not contact anything...in my opinion a poor design.

TGC Regular
    Or you can just tape a penny or 2 under there... just my .02

when is we gon be free????

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hodgson316)</div><div class='quotemain'>Or you can just tape a penny or 2 under there... just my .02 Â*</div>