The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Clutch Gurus!

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    Livn2sk8

Clutch Gurus!

Ok...so the hydraulic feed line that goes from the accumulator, into the slave cylinder...more specifically...into the banjo....is leaking. I have a new master clutch cylinder, and a new slave...Just put these in this week. The hydraulic line, is only about a month old. I took it off...and it has no cracks, or visible signs of damage.

When I push the clutch pedal down....clutch fluid (brake fluid) is being forced back through the end fitting on the line. More specifically...the fitting, wraps around the line....and then pulls it tight, and creates a seal...into the banjo....well...inbetween the line, and that end fitting on the line....is where it's coming out from. This is my 2nd line now, in two months.

I got advice from Seth and am probably investing in a whole new teflon line from my master cylinder, directly to my slave...but I would love a possible explanation, or even a way to fix this problem...before I spend the money on the teflon lines.

Thank you...

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    yeah, thats just wierd. i also say you should just get a teflon line right from the master to the slave, and take out the little pos pressure valve inside the slave that just restricts the flow of the brake fluid. teflon line goes straight from master to slave, i bought 6ft worth and it gets there with a bunch of slack.

pressure valve

out of curiosity, what Dot brake fluid are you using?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Livn2sk8
    my manual recommends DOT 3 or higher...so i'm using DOT 4.....

also..that picture you have up? my slave doesn't have that....at least...not that I can tell...I was looking on it yesterday.....where would it be? and how did you get it out?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    First before you go replacing the entire line, buy a SS clutch line. Replace that stupid acumulator with this line. See if this works. Its only like $20 and it should hold up a lot better then the crappy rubber hoses.
    7g for life!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Livn2sk8)</div><div class='quotemain'>my manual recommends DOT 3 or higher...so i'm using DOT 4.....

also..that picture you have up? my slave doesn't have that....at least...not that I can tell...I was looking on it yesterday.....where would it be? and how did you get it out?</div>

oh sorry, haha, i forgot to tell you where it is. remove the banjo bolt and washer, and get something thin like a toothpick to pull it out. it'll be underneath the banjo bolt inside the part where the clutch line screws into the slave.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Livn2sk8
    I swear mine doesn't have this, I just had it out....it's in the slave right? ....maybe you have a diff. style slave....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Livn2sk8)</div><div class='quotemain'>I swear mine doesn't have this, I just had it out....it's in the slave right? ....maybe you have a diff. style slave....</div>

it's a slave for a 2G, which is actually the exact same part number as the slave for a 7G. are you sure it's not in there? they all have them. inside the banjo bolt, after you completely remove it, you'll see it down inside.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Livn2sk8
    back and forth, back and forth...

inside the SLAVE, where the banjo threads in?

or inside the BANJO.....either way...mine don't have it..haha

haha, just forget about it then. after you remove the banjo bolt, it will be down inside. i'll take a pic of exactly where it should be for you. i guess you don't have it if you can't find it though.

here it is. it's down the whole. where you see that tiny black hole, the pressure valve was on top of that with the spring. what a restriction.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Dark7GHawk
    I went through 4 lines, and 1 slave cylinder, now its leaking there again. I guess I need to go get something different? Any possibility that something inside the bell housing is causing these to wear out?

Livn2sk8
    I'm just ordering that high pressure line from Summit that seth and peano keep tellling me about...I figured....i've paid $20 everytime I replace that line, and i have replaced it...three times in two months...and I just replaced the slave..and the master cylinder on my clutch. Seth said the whole teflon -3an line with all adapters and fittings, was about $60....very much worth it, in my opinion.

As far as it being related to anything other than the line itself....every "clutch" person I have spoke to about this, said that it has to be the line, or the slave. Since...anything after the slave....well...personally, I don't see how anything after the pushrod on the slave can affect the hydraulic line with leaking. all you're doing is pushing the fork in the tranny, then releasing...and the pressure in the lines and on that pushrod...should return the slave to the first position.

Anyways, i'm getting that new teflon line, and getting rid of the accumulator...since I don't see any purpose of having it.

good call. it only would have cost me about $20 just to get a new hard line from the dealer to run from the master the accumilator, but the whole set up seemed so illogical. just a straight line from the master to the slave......it can't get any more direct than that. i ordered my -3an teflon line, 6ft worth (plenty to make it) but i forgot the 4 adapters, so i'm waiting for those.

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Dark7GHawk
    May have to give that a try.

Livn2sk8
    Yeah, I just ordered mine last night, and I found a place to order those "Earl's" Parts too...so hopefully they will ship out first thing monday, and I can have them by thursday...

and yes, I have to agree...the routing of the hydraulic lines is a very poor design and waste of space...

The teflon lines that you got....are they pretty flexible? or really stiff?

Quote Originally Posted by Livn2sk8
    The teflon lines that you got....are they pretty flexible? or really stiff?
    really flexible, like a nitrous line. it's like routing a stiff twizzler that's been left out of the package for a long time :laughing:

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Dark7GHawk
    So, how well is this working? I need to know so I can decide if mine needs this or if it needs a swift kick in the ....

mines been in for about 700 miles now, and it's still perfect. i love it

1994 Galant GS 5spd