The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: brake swap question

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

brake swap question

If I get the rear rotors from a 93 galant. Will they bolt right up, so that I can get rid of the ugly drums :?:

Evil D Custom

brake conversion

im with u on tat one, i hate the drums on mine, i bought new ones a month ago and they are already like rusty lookin and they make the car look like crap. I reallly want disks in the back i think!

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    93 was a 6g, and 6gs are 5bolt? Unless you meant 94, Id have to say no, they wont fit
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    No...it won't work. If you do want to switch out the nice drums you have to disks w/o working too much to making it fit...find or buy brand new rear hubs, rotors, caliper assemblies, etc off a 94 Galant GS.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Sorry, I did mean a 94gs. :oops:

So if I get the discs from a 94, do I just pop the drums off and put the discs on(with new calipers of course) or do I have to get the hub assembly also?

Experienced TGC Member
    I dont have my parts book with me right here to look, but I believe you may have to grab the hub/bearing assembly as well in order for it all to fit. Not 100% sure on that, where's Seth he was doin a lot of research on this swap...
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

pure

master cylinder

dont you have to change the master cylinder also?

From what I saw on mitsubishipartstore.com the 94 master cylinder is the same as the rest of the years.

Moosh
    If you use a 1994 GS rear disc setup on our 7G's, will it change the braking ratio? For example, will the rear brakes do more work taking some of the load off of the front brakes? Are the front brakes of the 1994 GS the same as the rest of the 7G's? Because if they are not, I would be curious to know if using the GS rear disc's would cause your braking to be less optimized since there are certain percentages that the front and backs normally do right out of the factory. Hope that made sense

I am not positive, but I want to say that the set up for the front discs are the same for the 94gs as they are for the rest of our cars.

I just checked, and the part numbers are the same for the front rotors. the 94gs has the sames front brake setup as the rest of the 7Gs.

Moosh
    So basically swapping to rear disc's would be to have better looking brakes, not actually any real improvement except wasting money?

yea mostly people switch them for looks. the rear brakes only do a fraction of the braking. most of the braking is done with the fronts. its more about looks than it is peformance.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Yea, it's for the looks. Put a nice set of rims on your car and tell me how pretty those drums look.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you use a 1994 GS rear disc setup on our 7G's, will it change the braking ratio? For example, will the rear brakes do more work taking some of the load off of the front brakes? Are the front brakes of the 1994 GS the same as the rest of the 7G's? Because if they are not, I would be curious to know if using the GS rear disc's would cause your braking to be less optimized since there are certain percentages that the front and backs normally do right out of the factory. Hope that made sense</div>

i got to thinking about this. how about the proportioning valve between the cars with the disc brakes and the drum brakes. are they the same? if they are the same, are they adjustable. and if so, what are the settings for the drum brakes and what are the settings for the disc brakes.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

That's a good question. Has anyone ever done this swap. Do we even know if it can succesfully be done.

Moosh
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pinoyesv6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Moosh)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you use a 1994 GS rear disc setup on our 7G's, will it change the braking ratio? For example, will the rear brakes do more work taking some of the load off of the front brakes? Are the front brakes of the 1994 GS the same as the rest of the 7G's? Because if they are not, I would be curious to know if using the GS rear disc's would cause your braking to be less optimized since there are certain percentages that the front and backs normally do right out of the factory. Hope that made sense</div>

i got to thinking about this. how about the proportioning valve between the cars with the disc brakes and the drum brakes. are they the same? if they are the same, are they adjustable. and if so, what are the settings for the drum brakes and what are the settings for the disc brakes.</div>

I don't know, but if the valve is setup differently between the 1994 GS and the rest of the cars, then swapping to rear disc brakes may actually cause a decrease in performance because a non ideal amount of the load is being put on the brakes.

SamirDarji
    This is reviving an old topic, but I've got info related to the proportioning valve discussion.

I just got back from the dealer and the proportioning valve is the same for drum and disc. The only thing that will affect the braking bias is if the discs are more efficient with the same pressure being applied. I think they may be. At least, that's the only reason I'm considering going discs in the rear.