The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: whats it gonna cost to put discs on my rear wheels?

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar

whats it gonna cost to put discs on my rear wheels?

i thought i'd be finished with my car by now, but if i got disc brakes on the back rather than my piece of shit drums, how much would it cost, and what would i need? with my cross drilled/slotted rotors on the front, and hopefully ones on the back soon, i'd love to see the stopping power.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    convert to 5 bolt eclipse hubs, go buy eclipse big brakes and 4 piston calipers!

or stick with the 4bolt and go get 94 gs rotors and calipers, may need hubs too
    7g for life!

haveing rear discs won't really improve your stopping power. you won't see a big improvement since your front brakes do the majority of the braking.

but yea you might want to stick with the 4 lug since swapping over to 5 lug means a new set of rims. just look around before you do the swap, GS parts are harder to find than eclipse parts so it might be worth it to switch to the 5 lug.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth98esT)</div><div class='quotemain'>convert to 5 bolt eclipse hubs, go buy eclipse big brakes and 4 piston calipers!

or stick with the 4bolt and go get 94 gs rotors and calipers, may need hubs too</div>

Eclipse hub/bearing assembly fits into our knuckles?
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

yes jip they do

SamirDarji
    Question on the Eclipse hub assembly. Is that 5-lug? If not, does it have an increased diameter rotor when compared to a rear Galant disc?

Experienced TGC Member
    they are 5 lug.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

SamirDarji
    That's what I was thinking too.

Well if that costs too much, I saw that you could get AEM big brakes (4 lug) and pu them in place of the stock ones.. The come with caliper repositioning equipment so you can use the stock calipers. Just a thought too, I'll post a link as soon as I can remember it

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

SamirDarji
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nius (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>Well if that costs too much, I saw that you could get AEM big brakes (4 lug) and pu them in place of the stock ones.. The come with caliper repositioning equipment so Â*you can use the stock calipers. Just a thought too, I'll post a link as soon as I can remember it</div>
    That works well for the front, but it won't work for the rear. I spoke with Powerslot (who now own AEM's big brake unit) and they make a kit for the rear of the Eclipse which can fit on our cars with a rear disc conversion from an Eclipse (5-lug). The Eclipse 5-lug rear disc will bolt on. I've checked the part numbers in CAPS. You can then use the AEM kit to move the caliper out and have a 11.5" disc in the rear as opposed to the stock size (10"?). Since the rotor that comes with the kit is custom (it retains the stock hat diameter so that the parking brake still works), I have to find someone who will re-drill the 5-lug rotor, or find someone who will make a custom 4-lug rotor.