The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A few small problems all at once.

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

A few small problems all at once.

I just bought this car not but two months ago, perfect mint condition nonetheless, only 58k on the odometer now, it's a 97 ES. Here are the problems:

First of all, the horn, it was working last week, but now nothing, no matter how hard I push on the steering wheel. I need a horn to pass inspection, and the dealer wants me to pay just to have it looked at let alone fixed!!!

Secondly, the washer fluid pump, it too was working great when first used. Now, during the same week that the horn died, the washer fluid started squirting slowly with little pressure, barely even hitting the bottom of the window, you have to hold it down for 10 solid seconds before it starts to squirt hard enough to be useful.

Headlights and front bulbs, I know, they are wear parts, but the problem is access. The hood is so unconventional on the Galant that my fat hands can't reach most of the bulbs, I did however with a little struggle, replace my low beams. But now the parking lights are going out, and there is no way I can stick my hand all the way down there.

Lastly, the tranny, it seems strong and doesn't slip ever, but it shifts hard with a thud or rather a clunk. Good thing I have a maintenence plan, when it finally goes, all I have to pay is 100 bucks to have it replaced.

Now what I want to know is about the horn and wiper fluid pump. Are these easy and cheap fixes? We won't have any money for a good month to have these repaired unless they total 100 bucks or less. With a little arguing, I bet I can have them look at it for free because I bought my car there.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    thats pretty weak that they wont give you an estimate, but for the horn, check the fuse, and for the washer fluid poke the nozzles with a needle, maybe they're clogged? might need a new pump though :?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

i have no owner's manual to tell me what fuse is for the horn. i might try checking out the repair manual i downloaded from here though.

i'll try to open up the nozzles with a needle, but i doubt that's it, all four nozzles clog overnight?

8G_GTZ
    well, we've been blessed with one of the best tranny's mitsu could've ever made(says sarcastically). slippage will happen with these things. get it rebuilt if it's bad, if not, flush/fill, and add a treatment.

as for the headlights, like you said, your hands are chubby, you might have to unbolt a few things under the hood. if you don't want to/can't go that route, you'll have to take off the bumper to access the headlights.

steve

yeah, i'll be investing in a flush/fill for my tranny soon. so, what does it take, diamond something fluid? then add treatment on top of that? it doesn't seem to slip at all, it feels real strong, but the sounds is what gets me, this is my 9th car and the loudest tranny.

the headlights are just a bummer, i have a way to work around them though, i have a step daughter who's 18 and has tiny hands. since i gave her a honda accord and i help her with that car, she can help me with my car, LOL.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    1. The horn...like what a few others say, check the fuse...you should not need a owners manual to find it, there should be a fuse map on the fuse block cover. If thats not the problem...you might have the check the connections to the high and low pitch horns or the contact for the horn on the steering wheel.

2. Like what Peano said...use needles to clear up the nozzels, then check the hose lines from the washer jar to the needles...there might be a leak somewhere. If that is not the problem...then you are looking into replacing the washer fluid pump.

3. The passenger side headlight isn't that bad actually...its ALOT more easier to get to the bulbs compared to the left side. The Japanese have small skinny hands....I don't think they were thinking of "chubby" hands changing the headlight bulbs. (Its not that bad...I have to take out the fender liner off my g/f civic just to change the parking lights )

4. The 7g and 8g auto trannies in these cars are crap....but they are known for going bad because the cooling lines get clogged and the tranny runs hot and well, heat kills trannies. If the previous owner didn't do a tranny flush when you bought the car at 58k....then you HAVE to do it now, its past due. Do a complete tranny flush (Drain and fill won't do it)...the tranny should function alot better.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    pretty sure the horn fuse is located by the dead pedal under the dash (where your left foot rests). pop open that fuse cover and there will be a layout showing you which fuse is the horn
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

awesome, i was hoping it would be that simple. in all my other imports, the fuses like that were under the hood and unmarked.

EDIT: the horn fixed itself, i didn't even have time to check the fuses. what can make a horn not work for a whole week and then work again for no apparent reason?