The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine does not idle - PTU problem?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    BlackBeauty

Engine does not idle - PTU problem?

Hi all,

Hoping someone might be able to give some advice on this.

Last week I started to experience more problems with my 1994 HJ Galant (JDM, Auto). It would not idle and instead appears to stall. It did this twice on the way to work but I managed to get it there by revving it hard in neutral to keep the revs up then drop it into drive (I hope the gearbox forgives me). Managed to get it to work and a lunchtime test showed that the problems had gone. I decided I'd take to to Mitsubishi anyway and got in my car to drive there when it once again cut-out. This occurs only seconds after turning the ignition on and starting the car - the revs just drop all the way down and it splutters before conking out completely.

I had to have my car towed and was told the next day it was ready to pick up. They said it was my Cold Air Intake being mounted too low to the ground - it had picked up water/dirt which had prevented the engine from properly allowing the air/fuel mixture to ignite. They cleaned it all out, leaving it where it was mounted and $120 later, I was getting back into my car to leave Mitsubishi when once again, it just cut-out. (Mind you, I am on crutches from a knee reconstruction during all of this). They tell me to wait while they fix it and after re-locating the air intake back to the top of the engine bay and removing the pipe that used to allow it to be mounted lower, the test drive showed that it was fine. And fine it was - I drove home and out for dinner that night with no problems...until the next morning when I started it to go to work.

We have ignition, then we don't. I rang Mitsubishi and within 20 minutes they had sent their foreman out with diagnostic equipment. He said he'd seen this problem in a 3000GT and it had been the coil pack. They very kindly gave me the use of their courtesy car for 5 days (a late-model Executive Magna) and (somehow) the foreman drove my car back to Mitsubishi once again (3rd time in 3 days).

After the weekend, they rang to tell me they had found the problem - a faulty PTU (Power Transistor Unit) which would cost $550 to order in from Sydney. After doing some reading, I have found people who have similar problems with their Nissan 300ZX, Nissan EXA and Eagle Talon. Apparently the Mitsubishi PTU is faulty and was recalled in Australia, only to be replaced with yet another fault Mitsubishi PTU. In the US however, they have replaced them with the better Hitachi Unit. This article has more information on this and also suggests moving the PTU to somewhere where it is not as vulnerable to heat and vibrations http://www.aus300zxclub.com/tech/moveptu/movingptu.htm

According to Mitubishi, the Galant now runs 'mighty fine' and it was running in the workshop for a good hour.

But, I don't know what PTU they replaced mine with - I will ring and ask, but is there any other advice you can offer?

TIA.

*eta* I rang and the guy in the service department had no idea of which brand but he said he'd been working there 17 years and seen plenty of Galant but never had a problem with the PTU's before. I asked him if they'd run it from cold and they said no so he said they'd keep it overnight and try it in the morning.

TGC Regular
    What engine do you have? 4g63???

when is we gon be free????

BlackBeauty
    It's the 6a12

Heya Moite,

Idle problem...engine stalling...it happened to my 1993 V6 HJ. The verdict was the ISC / Steffer motor/ Idle speed controller unit. Costs me around $200-300 from memory. its been aok 10,000km later.
    PTU !? ... the problem does sound dead similar but hmmmm...
    At the moment i've got a headache with my $^%&#$&$% lifters!! does yr HJ have the same problemo mate?
    also central locking locks and unlocks demnonically...ow ow..and this annoying rattling sound coming from the boot.... dunno if yr hatchback has the same problemo.
    BUT i love the Galant too much !!! BTW cool mags...thinking of going to Bob Jane for me change of mags and tyres.
    The Magnas also have a softer suspension then the Galants i noticed too.
    But phew Magnas dont get me started on them !! :evil:

BlackBeauty
    Yeah, it was the PTU in my Galant - cost $600 to replace it!

Faaaaark!

Will reply to your PM - the demonic central locking and rattle from the rear hatch sounds all too familiar