The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: pcv valve and tranny fluid (two questions)

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

pcv valve and tranny fluid (two questions)

So I go to Valvoline to get my oil changed and I got the full synthetic. The guy walks back to the waiting room to show me the Galant's pcv valve, he suggested that it be replaced every 35k miles and mine looked like it had buildup, so I looked at it and it did look like oily buildup had accumlated in it. I ask him to change it as he said it would make the car ride smoother and get better gas milage.

Now, the car doesn't ride smoother and it seems a bit slower actually. What exactly does a pcv valve do, and will replacing it really make a difference in engine smoothness.

One last question, what tranny fluid is reccomended for a 7G Galant's automatic tranny? It desperately needs a full flush and fill and I heard that Mitsubishi uses a special tranny fluid. I plan to get this done at either Firestone, Tires Plus, or the Valvoline where I got the oil change.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    A PCV (Postive Crankcase Ventilation) valve is designed as a solution for a cleaner way to dispense oil vapors that can damage air quality. It basically relieves intake manifold or crankcase pressure and allows the oil vapors to recirculate and be burned through the vehicles emissions system. The PCV valve does need to be replaced around every 25,000-30,000 miles.

Its recommened to use Mitsu's tranny fluid since more manufactures design their ATF specifically for their A/T's. Though..sometimes its pricey, but the only alternative ATF I would use besides Mitsus is Mobil ATF or high performance based ATF which is pricey too

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

excellent explanation, thank you very much

i woudl say go to firestone. i've had experience with them and they do a good job. as for your pcv (4-G-rim gave you a very good explanation) you WILL feel the differnce if it were getting old. another way to check is, whiel the car is on(in park) remove the pcv and place you thumb on the end that comes off your valve cover. you SHOULD FEEL AND HEAR the difference, becuz you are covering the pvc, you car will begin to vibrate. and yes you should get it replaced every 30K. as for your tranny flush i would say replace the fuild every 25k becuz of our unfortunate 7g trannys. as for the fluid, firestone should get you mitsu tranny fluid from the dealer, or if i remember correctly, theres a new mitsu tranny fluid that came out not to long ago that firestone uses. you should ask them about that.

my friend changed his pvc on his celica and it was a huge difference, the car had more life and it ran alot better, i personally have changed mine and it does make bug difference.
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

Well, I called the local Firestone and they carry Dexron 3 and 4 and a basic flush and fill is 92 bucks. He has never heard of getting a special fluid for Mitsubishi. If I can't find any Mitsu fluid, can I use a Dexron comparable fluid?

When I lived in Iowa, I took my Honda to Firestone and had the complete flush/fill and the additive for around 70 bucks, and that was not even 2 years ago.

Who has had their car's tranny flushed and filled and how much did it cost you?

brandon
    You can get the tranny fluid from your Mitsu dealer.

For a flush and refill it'll probably run you around $100-$150.

I know, I just called the Mitsu dealer, he said 120 bucks, which is 30 more than anyother place around here. I feel like hunting down some Diamond ATF myself and having my mechanic friend do it for me.

b4 i knew anything about cars, i went to jiffylube, and they got em to change my oil, and it had about 105,000 miles. and a few months later my tranny died. as for firestone, i was told that they would get mitsu fluid, becuz liek other cars nowadays, factorys are making their own fluid. but if they dont get the mistu fluid, i believe the compatible one is called "somehting" 8, or diamond. i cant remember. i'll ask today my friend at firestone.

ive been going to EZ lube for a while now... its pretty good service... they said that mitsu's need a special addictive. that other cars dont need... i told them yea n go add it... i noticed it made a big difference than just adding plain old tranny fluid like other places do...im SATISFIED
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???